Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Exciting Times  (Read 5900 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Exciting Times
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:59:26 pm »
One of my GOS gilts is due to farrow around 8th December.  I've got everything ready (well as ready as I can be!).

I've read as many books as I can and talked to local breeders, and was lucky enough to watch a farrowing the other week.  The farmer opposite, who has a few pigs as well as his dairy herd is on hand to help, and of course the vet is aware and ready to help if I need him.  The breeder I got the girls from is just a phone call away too.

I've got the farrowing area all set up and ready.

So I'm as prepared as I can be. 

I was wondering what your experiences were of your first farrowing?  Anything else I should be thinking of?

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

HappyHippy

Re: Exciting Times
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:03:20 pm »
Can't help with advice I'm afraid Julie, but I hope it all goes well and look forward to seeing the pictures  ;)

Pigginshelly

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Pinwall Atherstone
    • RED LION PINWALL
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:20:33 pm »
Wow, exciting times indeed. I can't wait to see the pictures!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 06:13:19 pm »
I got through a lot of wine on the day.  Hilary threw me out as soon as she went into labour.  Keep the vet's phone number handy and dont worry.

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 10:24:02 pm »
I waited day and night, had to nip to work for a couple of hours in the afternoon and naughty pig farrowed whilst i was gone, just caught the last one :(

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:55:59 pm »
Onlu advise I can give is, stay quiet, if something hapens like a piglets squeels and panics her a bit don't jump in a in a panic -it will only panic the sow further.
Only get invloved if you absolutely have to otherwise just let nauture take its course! Good luck!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 07:59:23 am »
Many thanks everyone. 

I've got the camera ready.  While I've got it out I must take some pictures of my lovely signs, Karen.  They look fantastic!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 01:49:01 pm »
Just sit quietly and watch, its a beautiful experience, pigs are fantastic they just lay down and it happens naturally (most of the time!) Good to have some old towels, as the piglets get muckier the further along they are! I like to give them a wipe if its at night and cold! Glass of wine in hand and a good pig book along with list of numbers in case of emergency, good luck and enjoy :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 02:01:22 pm »
Fantastic....Thank you dixie  :) :pig: :)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 03:48:33 pm »
Really exciting...........can't wait to hear the full story - perhaps a live news feed??????????
I'll have a glass of wine ready to toast your (plural you and sow's) success.
kirsty

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 05:52:02 pm »
Thank you marigold  :)

A live news feed.....Now that sounds exciting, and very technical.  Anyone know how to do that???
 :)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 06:07:43 pm »
Absolutely no idea - not even quite sure what it is exactly - just sounds immediate and the sort of thing that might be good.
I guess that a wireless connected laptop so that you can post while watching might be close. But if the weather is as bad with you as it is here, we'll forgive you for not setting up the whole pig watch documentary set up in the rain. :) :) :) :pig:
kirsty

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 11:17:45 am »
I'll have to get my son thinking about that, he's a lot more 'tech' minded than me!  I'm far too old!!!! 

I like the idea though.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 01:32:57 pm »
Wrap yourself in a duvet, have one of those "keep warm" mug things, fill with hot chocolate and sit and watch.
I could sit for hours and watch, although I prefer night farrowing as it's sooooo quiet and it's only me and my pig!!!
Doesn't matter how many times you see it, everytime is fantastic!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 05:41:27 pm »
Oh and just to add, remember the smell of the newborn piglets, next time you will 'know' if the sows in pig as you will recognise that smell :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS