Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prolapsed ewe,should it stay or go?  (Read 3363 times)

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
Prolapsed ewe,should it stay or go?
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:50:10 am »
I ve never had a sheep prolapse in the 15 years I ve had sheep but this year I had 2 that prolapsed after lambing.Both recovered and reared their lambs as shearlings without problems.Question is should I keep them in the hope they don't do it a second time or do I cull?They are texels.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Prolapsed ewe,should it stay or go?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 10:27:39 am »
Cull.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 10:40:36 am »
Financial head - they'll fetch good money in the fat, cull them.

Only you can decide whether there are other factors to take into account.  One of my farming friends had a flock of Lleyns and hardly ever had any prolapse.  Then one year, nearly a third of them prolapsed.  She kept them all on, and none of them prolapsed again.  But to counter that, one hears more stories about keeping the ewe(s) that prolapsed on, and wishing heartily that one hadn't...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:20:19 am »
One of mine prolapsed last year and did so again this year, both before and after lambing. She went to the cull market last week.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:28:40 am »
Cull, unless you want a pet sheep.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 11:46:09 am »
Cull market, and buy new ones this autumn with the money you got for them.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 06:52:47 pm »
I have one prolapser which has had a preservation order placed on it by a very kind old lady so I cannot by law cull her.. I'm thinking she can either become a victim/prisoner of the young sheepdogs (join the stooge/tame sheep) or can go in lamb anyway, and prolapse so giving the trainee vet students something to do next spring

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »
I'd be wanting to know why they prolapsed :thinking: .  One maybe, but two?  Out of how many?  Were the lambs too large for them as shearlings?  Sorry, all questions and no answers ::) .

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 09:24:40 am »
Thanks to all,I'll go with the consensus and cull it.along with the mastitis cases etc  and one of my rams which has proved ineffective.I've already bought a batch of new ones ,texel mule ewes .I'm always abit reluctant to buy older sheep  as they may just be someone else's problems but they looked good value compared to the price shearlings.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 10:29:03 pm »
Hi ! I had a ewe lamb that prolapsed after lambing and she has since lambed twins for three years with no problems at all. Advise from the vet was cull if prolapsed pre lambing but should be OK if after. I would take into consideration her other attributes before deciding, but of course as always the decision is yours.  :huff:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS