Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bears  (Read 1777 times)

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
Bears
« on: August 22, 2014, 05:43:17 pm »
The bear hunting season started County Council is allowing 60 bears to be shot this year. During the first day, 6 were taken down. I cannot make up my mind about hunting. The wolf and bear population is increasing though I have met three or four bears whilst living up here and they seemed friendly enough. Most of the nasty accidents seem to be when the bears are antagonized

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Bears
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 06:36:04 pm »
It's like anything else, balance must be maintained. The fact that a decision is made each year about how many can be taken, suggests that someone is paying attention to the numbers that are present and what the eco system can handle. Ultimatly it is when populations grow to big that friction occurs with people, sad but true. . . . there're too many of us, so there can't be too many of them.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 07:36:25 pm »
Oooh Renee :o be careful. I'm guessing it only takes a hungry youngster to slip out of the normal behaviour pattern.

It's good that the balance is being maintained around your area, which will help reduce the need for bears to hunt further afield and perhaps nearer settlements, without actually wiping out the population. Good on your council  :thumbsup: it really does sound like a different life to here.  I'd love to experience it but perhaps just after hunting season  :innocent:

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:05:12 pm »
I get more worried in the moose hunting season. I wonder if the hunters can tell the difference between my Jacob ram and a moose. year. A lad was skiing off piste in the spring and he c
  Last year I was up in the summer pastures helping my neighbour with a lame cow. He let the cows out of the night enclosure and went across the track. They did not follow him but looked left. I looked left and there, 10 yards awa,y was a young bear curiously watching us. He stood up, boxed a bit with his front legs and sauntered into the undergrowth.
  The worst accident, and it was an accident, was last spring. A lad was skiing off piste and crashed into a bear's den. She had very small cubs and attacked him viciously. He survived and the bear was to be put down. He pleaded for her life and the "death penalty" was reprieved.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS