Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can you put weight on an old sheep ?  (Read 3730 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
can you put weight on an old sheep ?
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:02:12 pm »
I have a loan of an old ram (I think he's 7 next Feb)   He has only had 4 ewes to tup.  Three have not come back in season so are hopefully in-lamb.  He is on good grass and has been getting fed sheep mix every day but he is definitely needing more weight on.  Been wormed for fluke and other worms.  He's eating the mix with no problems so presume his back teeth are ok.  He is bright and seems quite happy in himself  Is it the case that he is of an age where it is difficult to get weight on him?   Any suggestions for improving his lot?  Will be getting the vet out to look at one of my other sheep so will obviously ask him but am interested in any comments from experienced sheep keepers out there, thanks

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: can you put weight on an old sheep ?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:04:43 pm »
You could try a lick bucket just to make sure he is getting all the
minerals etc. that he needs.  The vet will give you advice if he is
coming out anyway - good luck and let us know the outcome.

Julie
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Re: can you put weight on an old sheep ?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 06:00:59 pm »
thanks Julie

spoke to the vet today      he advised that if I've already dosed him for fluke and he's got plenty of grass and is getting concentrates there's not really anything else to do     he said it could be that there is some chronic liver damage from fluke but wouldn't know for sure without blood testing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS