Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: educational display/activities about wool  (Read 2971 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
educational display/activities about wool
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:15:45 pm »
Our local show has decided that they would like to have a small (about 20' square) education area, with a theme each year, starting this year with wool.  I seem to be responsible for it, not sure how that happened.  I do already have quite a few ideas but would like to pick your brains about what you think should be included.  We have decided to pitch it at about 10 year olds - not too babyish, so has some proper content, but accessible for youngsters.

All ideas, no matter how wacky, would be appreciated.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: educational display/activities about wool
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:58:09 pm »
I have been surprised and amazed at how quickly ten year olds can pick up spinning on a wheel, so don't think it all has to be drop spindles made of a potato on a stick.  An Ashford Traddie wheel with someone to show them what to do, then brave enough to let them get on with it, can lead to a hooked spinner  :spin:

One of the things I think really attracts attention is a touchy-feely place, where people can handle as much fleece, knitting and weaving as they want to, and work out for themselves how raw wool 'works' by pulling and twisting for themselves, not just watching a demo.

Many young people today don't know what spinning, knitting, crochet and weaving are.  I find people of all ages are  utterly amazed to find that most of the clothes they are wearing are knitted or woven, albeit of cotton or man-made fibres - their jeans are spun and woven, their T-shirts are spun and knitted, the uppers of their trainers are spun and woven.  Pictures of the processes on a factory scale to compare with hand production can be an eye opener.

Above all, obviously it needs to be fun, full of colour and excitement, with several 'helpers' to lead people's interest and help interpret what's on offer.

Nothing whacky there, but I'm sure everyone else will be bursting with great ideas.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:00:03 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:09:39 pm »
If you have room, alongside all FW's good suggestions, you could have carpets, acoustic materials, felted items and felting, (roof) insulation, some sheep (know anyone with friendly, visually appealing little sheep...?  :-J)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:23:53 pm »
Yes fleecewife great idea, I visited a spinning demo in Lochinver a couple of years ago held by local spinners it was most interesting and the visitors could have a go my daughter who was about 10 at the time picked up very quickly on what she was being taught and made a good effort. There were many differant fleeces which you could touch and feel the differences. There was also lots of dyed wool of many colours. The ladies were very informative and answered the many question asked. The most informative spinning wool display I have ever had the privalidge to witness.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:27:06 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 03:35:15 am »
I am in the middle of organising a childrens competition for our spinning stand at the Llandovery Sheep Festival at the end of Sept. It is about the colours you get from natural dyeing. I hope to have a selection of about 10 colours by then. There will be either spun yarn or carded fleece that has been coloured and a list of the things used to colour it. The children will then have to match them up. Some will be quite easy and others will probably be just be a guess.
So far I have turmeric, tea, fruit tea, coffee, himalayan balsam, rosebay willowherb, chilli powder.
I still have onion skins to do. I was going to do elm bark and have been soaking the bark in water for a couple of weeks but the water stinks so badly I don't think I can use it.
Anyway, you might be interested in a similar display if you can get the bits together in time. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 08:11:56 am »
don't know if you intend any fund raising at same time but an idea I saw at show recently .... lucky dip .... kids put their hands into rear of sheep model to get present ... wacky but attracts people.

How about sheep to scarf ..... Blue Peter style of course ..... with children getting involved at each stage?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:12:36 pm »
felted items and felting,

The people who have my Heb wool do felting and quilting.  I think the hat museum near work also do some things with wool.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:28:12 pm »
don't know if you intend any fund raising at same time but an idea I saw at show recently .... lucky dip .... kids put their hands into rear of sheep model to get present ... wacky but attracts people.

omg  :roflanim: :roflanim:
we went to an ace "wool shop" in aberfoyle the other day. they had sheepdog/duck/sheep displays etc with a agility course for the herded ones, plus pens so you could get up close to the sheep. for some reason all the tame sheep were rams. plus wool products.
how about lanolin soaps and meat and sheep horn products so all of the sheep is involved?

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:02:57 pm »
Can you still get knitting machines? Someone's bound to have one lurking in an attic you could get a loan of.

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 02:18:36 pm »
I used to run an old textiles museum and for wool week we worked with the wool marketing board who have lots of off the peg worksheets and activities and are always on the look out for events like this so get in touch with your local board
Red

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 02:59:40 pm »
Have you contacted the British Wool Marketing Board?  They may have some material you could borrow or leaflets to hand out.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas, everyone, more still very welcome!  Yes, I have a friend who works for BWMB and they are helping.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS