Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Share-holding" Opinions please  (Read 2311 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
"Share-holding" Opinions please
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:46:02 am »
I would value your opinions on an idea I have had. Being or rather, getting older (60!) I find keeping up with my few acres is getting to be a toil rather than the pleasure it once was. My partner is as good as gold as regards going up to do the feeds for me but he really has a minimal interest in it and practically no enthusiasm which makes things feel a bit flat and lonely.
Over the past few weeks I have been amazed at the number of people I have met (and all young men!! ;D) who say how they long for a few acres to do what I do,keep poultry, sheep and pigs and grow a bit of grub and just enjoy the freedom and fresh air.And I thought, why not share my land, the work, the cost and the profits,not that there is any money to be made but, I'm sure you will all agree, there are more benefits than material ones to be had.
Can you see any pit-falls or, indeed legal implications (I'm not thinking of handing over any ownership of the land, but you never know what clever minds might do!!)
There is so much more can be done on the land with enthusiasm and a strong back but I don't want to venture into this only to regret it later.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: "Share-holding" Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:52:39 am »
I thought about doing the same with my half acre at the front, but haven't done because it is so close, my kids felt my privacy would be compromised.  Hugh F-W started a Landshare scheme but I don't know if it's working - you could look on the river cottage website.  They could maybe give you advice on the legal side.  In Scotland, if land is rented out it's only for 364 days of they year maximum to prevent a title being granted.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:16:42 pm »
Hi Sylvia,try this, sounds like what you are looking for.
JD
www.landshare.net

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 10:33:47 am »
Well! And that has been going for quite some time apparently and I'd never heard of it. I could have done with a pair of younger legs last night when the pigs made a break for freedom. I got the message just as I was setting off for work and didn't know what to do , find pigs or go to work. Black pigs, dark night, speeding cars. I hunted pigs of course and found that a kind person had put them in her field.I'm exhausted this morning!!

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:44:09 am »
PIGS ARE LIKE STAPLER'S   :o
They always run out at the most inconvenient times !

;D

Living the Good Life and spreading the word

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 12:23:11 pm »
 :pig: ;D ;D :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS