Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3933 times)

Chrisnut

• Joined Nov 2013
« on: August 20, 2014, 05:35:04 pm »
Hi All....

My first post for this forum ... but i'm looking for a small amount of advice on what breed /xbreed to buy....

We have a small section of land currently home to a flock of chickens and 4 pigs, i'm am wanting to get a couple of sheep to graze on the land also, approx an 1 1/2 acres and was thinking of going down the route of buying a couple of shearling ewes and putting them to Tup to lamb in the spring.

Any thoughts on this for a newbie and what breed/x  to go for and what to look for in ewes when purchasing

Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:09:57 pm »
If you are new to sheep then the best answer is usually 'whatever is around you locally', because you can buy them from a local sheepkeeper, and have a bit of backup. 

Whereabouts are you?  What sort of sheep are about in your area, do you know?

Also... 4 free range pigs will pretty soon trash 1 1/2 acres, are you sure you have grass for sheep too? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 02:15:33 pm »
Hi there also fellow newbie to sheep got our own first flock of hebrideans and i would strongly recomend them as first timers as they are great to lamb  and look after
Red

Chrisnut

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:23:10 pm »
Hi ...

thx for the replies... i didnt quite explain properly that the 1 1/2 acres is for the sheep separated into two paddocks for grazing.... i appreciate we will have to supplement their diet with feed and forage due to limited grazing.. the pigs are not completely free range..... they are also in a permanent pen although we let them roam most evenings around the land.

I live in northants and not sure of what breed local farmers work, but i imagine it would be a commercial breed.... whats the arguement for x breeds vs purebreeds ??

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:03:08 pm »
As a general rule x breds  have less health and reproduction problems then pure

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 09:10:52 am »
Oh, that's better, Chrisnut!  As a rule of thumb you can run 5 sheep per acre, so 1 1/2 acres will be fine for a couple of sheep and their lambs (if they're not sharing it with 4 pigs!)

Re: x-breed vs pure breed, depends on the breed, rather. 

Another consideration is what tup you can get the use of.  If you'd send your ewes to your local farmer to tup for you, or if he'd lend you a tup lamb to use each year, then you need to choose sheep that will manage to lamb lambs of that type ;)

Do you have any breeds or types of sheep in mind?  Are there some that you like the look of?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Chrisnut

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 08:06:21 pm »
Thx  Sallyintnorth......

i've just been looking at whats available albeit i have not approached any local farmers or been to the local livestock market.... i've seen a few greyface dartmoor lambs and lleyn ewe lambs and to be honest want to be a bit of a snob and go for a purebreed if i can as much as i understand that xbreeds maybe less hassle to keep.

Tupping ..... i am thinking of simply asking where i buy the ewes from to see if the seller can offer advice or that service at a later date

Ps also like the look of the big chunky charolais

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 09:42:14 am »
When deciding on breed think about what you will do with subsequent lambs- no point buying a breed that doesn't sell well at your local market if that's the route they will go down, or that finishes slowly if you need them away by winter (advisable given your limited grazing). Also bare in mind a lot of pedigree breeders are MV Accredited in witch case unless your holding becomes the same you won't be able to return for tupping.

I would maybe go with a few store lambs to start to get to grips with keeping sheep before you add in the complications of breeding. Now is a good time to buy stores to keep over the winter and send off after the first flush of grass in the spring. Also I would always buy sheep in groups of 3 and above, they feel safer in numbers and if one was to die the other would still have company.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 10:22:17 am »
Hello there :wave: , I echo what twizzel said re get some stores in :)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 10:59:37 am »
If you are interested in GFD's, look up the DSBA website(Dartmoor Sheep Breeders).  They are a very friendly bunch and run a mentoring scheme if you are new to the breed, there maybe someone local to you.  The Annual Show and Sale is at Exeter on Friday starting at 1100 with the show.  They are lovely sheep to keep but rare for a reason :innocent: .  Whatever you get, choose something you like.
Ditto the comments re stores unless they are just to be pets/lawnmowers, and def. three  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: .

Chrisnut

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 11:50:51 am »
Brilliant thanks for the advice lots to think about and learn ... still got some fencing to erect and a a holiday to take will make a decision after that ...

Will definitely get 3 now

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 04:31:18 pm »
Hi,

I am pretty new to keeping sheep (2 years) I got mine as pets to help eat the grass which the horses won't. I would recommend Shetlands. They are super hardy and and pretty low maintenance. Mine are also super friendly, I have 6x Shetland rams.

Emily

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS