Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eggs  (Read 5725 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Eggs
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:10:26 pm »
Has anyone tried to pickle there extra eggs, I would like to have a go as  we have lots of eggs at the moment.  :chook:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 07:43:46 pm »
Try the first result:  ;)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pickled+eggs

I love pickled eggs.  :)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:15:53 am »
I'm not a lover of pickled eggs, but my family are........I've found using cider vinegar is very popular.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 12:03:35 pm »
I pickle bantam and quail eggs. I'm not fond of pickled anything myself but they go down well as Christmas gifts.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:31:51 am »
Never tried one.  Do they taste strongly of vinegar? 

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:44:32 pm »
Thanks Dan, will have a go. My OH loves pickled eggs or so he has told me, I remember seeing them for sale in Chip shops when I was a child.  :chook:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 10:38:29 pm »
I am the only one in the family who loves boiled eggs, pickled or not - so I was interested if anyone has experience with the water-glass method of preserving the uncooked eggs?  :&>

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 12:23:16 pm »
Sorry, missed this one or would have replied sooner. Mother used to preserve eggs in this way and this is what I remember(this was 50 years and more ago!) Only fresh eggs were used and put into a METAL pail, never plastic as this would bend and break the eggs.
The powder was mixed with water as directed on the packet and eggs were laid down as and when laid and the liquid poured gently in to cover completely the eggs. (I am guessing that this is why only fresh eggs were used, stale ones would float to the top!)
Where you would get the water-glass powder now I couldn't say but I am sure "Uncle Google" will help. Good luck and let me know how you get on.
I think the reason this is not used nowadays is that we have modern hybrid hens who will lay throughout the winter.
As I remember the eggs were fine for anything except frying or poaching.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 01:13:50 pm »
I found it mentioned in John Seymore's self sufficiency and he says you can buy it at the chemists. I haven't asked yet and there have been so many rule changes (no more Tartaric or Citric acid there!!) that maybe that option h as gone. I will have a go in the summer, my ducks have reduced to half just now (and lots of baking going on!) and I haven't seen an egg from the hens I got 3 weeks ago yet. Obviously not a hybrid breed, lol  :&> :chook:

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 12:32:25 pm »
When I pickle eggs it isnt so fancy as those recipes from the link but my son adores them nonetheless.

just add white vinegar to a jar full of cold, boiled, deshelled eggs, leave for at least 3 months, then eat.

I will try those pretty pink eggs from the link.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:49:48 pm »
Hello Sylvia Your interpretation of pickled eggs and mine are quite different.Allow me to tell you my version.
Pickled Eggs Hard boil the eggs and allow to cool place the eggs in a suitable (1/2 gallon say)Now boil some white (clear) vinegar with some white & black peppercorns a blade of mace a few allspice berries and a small piece of ginger.simmer 1/4 of an hour then strain the spice out of the vinegar.Stir a spoon of sugar into the spiced vinegar and then pour over the eggs and seal Keep a month before using.
Preserving eggs
In a large earthenware crock place the fresh eggs point end down and then cover with a solution of Isinglass Keep adding the fresh eggs until the crock is full and there is enough space left to cover the eggs Put a saucer on top to keep the eggs submerged.Eggs treated this way will keep good 9 months to a year but really only good for cooking.Don't boil one for breakfast the shell will burst as it becomes hot.This method was used with all the surplus eggs we had during World War 2 Of course there is no need for it today there is a plentiful supply of eggs in the supermarkets.Which of course doesn't help with your surplus does it I have posted this to see what others may remember now we have kindled their memory :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS