Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worm Farm?  (Read 9143 times)

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
Re: Worm Farm?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 08:07:10 pm »
These do a starter kit www.thecastingwormcompany.co.uk

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 09:29:02 am »
Came across this website in the "Permaculture" magazine. www.cagoxfordshire.org.uk.  Go to "Downloads" then "Information Sheets".  It gives you details of how to build a wormery.  There is also another link on that page www.envocare.co.uk/wormeries.htm which I thought was very interesting.  Will post this and then check the links.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 09:33:02 am by r+lchick »

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 12:56:06 pm »
I started my own wormery with those recycling boxes you get free off the council. All you have to is call them and ask for extra boxes. I asked for three  ;D 
What you do is poke holes in the base of the first one, and then cut a hole in the base of the second one, leaving an inch and a half border all around the base. Get some greenhouse shading net and cut it to size, with a slight allowance all around so you can glue it to the base of the second box. Basically you're making a sieve for the second box, and for the third box, buy a plastic tap and fix it to the side of the third box (near the base, on the side).
Because the boxes are stacking boxes, you need to make sure that they don't nest inside each other, and just use either expanding foam or silicone on the top edges, and let dry, so the boxes actually sit on the edges and not fall in. (I hope this makes sense!) You can buy dendrobaena worms from bait shops or ebay, and put them in the first box. All the food waste goes in there, and as they get eaten by the worms, they fall through the holes in the base into the second box. Some worms will fall through as well. The liquid will fall into the third box, but not any worm casts or worms.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 05:00:42 pm »
When it gets warmer I am going to give it a try.  Our council is a bit tighter but can use the ideaology in some way to make it work.  I have always read that it is a hard thing to do.  So many people ending up with a smelly mass.  Anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Thanks.  Ros

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 05:33:46 pm »
I guess you could do it with plastic basins?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 09:11:15 pm »
Plastic buckets with holes in the bottom work well too. :)
kirsty

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 07:13:47 pm »
If you are anywhere near Oxfordshire I have a huge pile of horse manure with thousands of worms, happy to let you pick through! Our hens love them although the ducks dont.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 09:05:09 pm »
Yes all those would work as well, but my approach was mainly to get as many things as poss without paying for them lol! As for tight councils, grrr, don't get me started on a rant! I considered it a triumph getting those three boxes, although the girl at the other end of the phone, said, 'Three?' I just said, yep, no explanations given  ;D  Considering the amount of council tax we've paid, and getting bugger all for it - the street in front of the house is pitch black, with no street lighting, I've seen a street cleaner go past once in ten years, and they've halved our the size of our bins but don't collect all plastics AND we were robbed twice but the police just shrugged and admitted they couldn't do anything grrrrr !  Okay rant over, sorry!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS