Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Angora rabbits?  (Read 4059 times)

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
Angora rabbits?
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:08:18 pm »
Anyone keep them for fibre??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Angora rabbits?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 05:35:29 pm »
Internal or external
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:47:17 pm »
not for fibre but i have 3 for breeding
 :carrot: :carrot:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:14:00 am »
Very funny, Annie. I think you have to be a certain age to appreciate that! The age you start eating Grape Nuts.

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:05:42 pm »
Internal or external

Tres drole indeed... GOL (that's Groan Out Loud  ;))

CameronS, are they really as hard work to keep as I've heard? The Orkney Angora Co used to keep their own bunnies but apparently they had trouble breeding them because they kept eating their own young  ??? maybe cages too small? or first time mums? dunno...

What colours have you got? 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:10:37 pm by Birdie Wife »

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:03:30 pm »
My only massive problem is letting them into the run when it is muddy and wet, Because of their long fluffy hair you can imaging the mess, therefore i let them onto the slabs and still brush them daily.

I've never had them eating their own young, but then again none of mine are novice,

I have more of a problem with younger, flightier rabbits such as my dutch ones eating their offspring. Apparently it is to do with lack of minerals (or something like that not exactly sure,but  I'm sure thats what the vets said) so ours have extra daily suplaments that seem to do the trick,
Also as with all pregnant animals and young keep them separate and makesure that you have another spare hutch for the baby boys, as they can breed at about 4/5 weeks old!

Hopefully this is a bit more enlightening

Cameron

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS