Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing for pigs  (Read 8243 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Fencing for pigs
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:25:36 pm »
We are looking to get some Kune Kune piglets soon and need to have the correct fencing for them.
We have stock fencing for our sheep, rabbit mesh over stock fencing for our pygmy goats, and are not sure what's right for pigs.
I have been reading up on pig keeping but would be interested to know what works best and any tips/advice would be most welcome.
Thanks
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Re: Fencing for pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:45:53 am »
We are looking to get some Kune Kune piglets soon and need to have the correct fencing for them.
We have stock fencing for our sheep, rabbit mesh over stock fencing for our pygmy goats, and are not sure what's right for pigs.
I have been reading up on pig keeping but would be interested to know what works best and any tips/advice would be most welcome.
Thanks

KK are lovely! :)

There are several options for fencing, a lot of people opt for electric strands so you can rotate them around the land, and kunes do like to root! I keep KKs and have stock fencing. I find it works fine, and you can always run a strand of barbed wire along the bottom to discourage rooting under the fence, one prickle and they're put off :) I would put straining posts ever 3-5 metres if you don't use electric fencing because they'll scratch on them and the fence continually

HTH Sophie  ;D
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 10:14:08 am »
Thanks very much SophieLeeds, that's really helpful!
As you have Kune Kunes can I ask another question - the paddock that we're getting ready for them is all grass with no trees and I keep reading that pigs like woods and copses but we don't have any. Will they be happy in a grassy paddock?
Is there anything I can do to make it more suitable for them??
Also, I've been looking at litters of piglets on the Kune Kune Society website - is that where you suggest I get piglets from?
We're looking for a wooden ark - any thoughts?
Thanks very much!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 10:27:25 am »
Thanks very much SophieLeeds, that's really helpful!
As you have Kune Kunes can I ask another question - the paddock that we're getting ready for them is all grass with no trees and I keep reading that pigs like woods and copses but we don't have any. Will they be happy in a grassy paddock?
Is there anything I can do to make it more suitable for them??
Also, I've been looking at litters of piglets on the Kune Kune Society website - is that where you suggest I get piglets from?
We're looking for a wooden ark - any thoughts?
Thanks very much!

Grass is absolutely fine, KKs love fresh food. Just ensure they have a few 'toys' for their amusement e.g. feed ball, scratching pole etc. Also make sure they have a wallow and shade is always available.
If you'd like to get pedigrees that you know are definetly KKs then its a good place to start looking :)
How many do you plan to get? And boars or gilts?
Wooden arcs are fine, just check for rotting and make sure there's plenty of bedding inside. KK's, like all pigs, are warm the majority of the time and do well in most weather conditions.
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 11:17:49 am »
SophieLeeds thanks so much!
I've been reading pig keeping books and wooden arks seem to be the most popular recommendation.
What do you think is best? I also read that we shouldn't get it too big or they'll use one end as their 'en suite' but how do we know what's the right size? I don't want to get it too small, then realise we want a few more pigs, and have to buy another ark. The budget wouldn't run to that!
We're thinking maybe 3 pigs. So far we've got boy pygmy goats and boy Ouessant sheep so we'd like some girls!
If you can suggest the best option for us, that would be so great! We've wanted KKs for years but have never kept pigs before so are keen to start the right way!
I have been offered a couple of Mangalitsa piglets by a neighbour but I'm not sure. I could get a mixture of KKs and Mangalitsas.
Really appreciate your help and advice!

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:37:57 am »
I don't use arks purely because we have a stable block in the same field as the pigs.

Yes they will use one end for the bathroom if its too large and they're shut in- my KK's use one corner of the stable  when I don't let them out early enough  :D (two 65-70kg pigs per 10x8ft stable = far too large). You can 'toilet train' pigs somewhat and if they have outdoor access they will invariably go outside to do their business. It's actually easier to do 'toilet cleaning' duties if you can get them to all go in one area  ;D
You could always board off the back of an arc until you figure out exactly how much space they need (obviously increasing space if you get weaners)? Pigs like to cuddle up so if they have access outdoors 24/7 then they wont need much space in the ark at all.

Three pigs is great. I only keep boar (uncastrated) kunes now, but I've found boars and gilts to be equally friendly, they're a good beginner pig. Someone else may have had a different experience to me though, and be able to comment further here!

Getting some mangalitzas would be a good idea, because they're considered very rare now. If you plan to get a mix I'd get all gilts and introduce them at no more than 7 weeks if you're new to keeping pigs (unless you have a 30 acre field) or you may find yourself with hell on your hands (and a few savaged weaners). 

Overall, if you're just starting with pigs I'd recommend the KKs over manglalitzas for handling and temperament (please remember to never turn your back on a pig - or trust it! ). However, if you're planning on eating them, remember you don't get much meat for your money on a KK and its reputably more fatty than other breeds. Good luck!

:pig: :pig:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:40:15 am by SophieLeeds »

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 12:05:43 pm »
We made out own pig houses for our Kunes.

they have pallet floors (solid pallets, not the common open sparred type)

Our houses are 3 pallets long and one wide, so 1.2m wide and 3m long (pallets are 1.2m x 1m)

They have been used to house 3 adult kunes, boar and two sows and easily hold them, they could probably take another couple if needed.

the same size house holds 6 year old tunes easily and again could probably house up to 10 that size if required.

When the two sows farrow we spilt the house in half so they have a separate area each, so its about 1.2m x 1.5m which gives them plenty of room.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 12:11:51 pm »
Thanks for that Clansman and the photo of those adorable piglets! My husband is quite keen to make the ark himself to save ££ so he'll be very interested in the details.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 12:15:36 pm »
SophieLeeds - they are going to be pets only, not going to be for eating, and we have 5 acres altogether not 30, sadly! Before we moved here 6 months ago we just had a back garden so 5 acres is bliss!
I have wanted KKs for such a long time that I think I'll stick with that plan for now, although perhaps in the future add another breed.
Really appreciate your advice. The books are great but it's so much better to have guidance from someone who already has them.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:33:56 pm »
Three pallets on a level base with a post/fence on each corner for support, then we just used old decking for the walls with more pallets on the roof and a waterproof cover to keep it dry.

very cheaply done! :)

They do love a good scratch and the boar especially has a bit of power about him, even the fencing we used moves when he has a rub against it!  ;D

I'll get some better pictures but here are a few I have to hand.

Boar and two sows cuddled up for the night, sorry its a bit dark!

View from one end, the pallet you can see at the far end was used as a partition while the two sows farrowed.

Best one I have right now of the walls/roof.

Its not straight but its solid!  :innocent:

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 12:46:02 pm »
Thank you Clansman for the photos. Andrew will be really pleased as it's much easier to work out how to make it from photos rather than just a description!
The pigs and piglets are gorgeous, just makes me want to get them sooner!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 01:11:02 pm »
You'll like these then,  ;D

We have hundreds of pictures!!!

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 04:54:09 pm »
Clansman - they are so sweet, I love the photos!  I am so excited that we're getting KKs soon.
Do you think I should go on a pig keeping course before we get them?
I'm learning about pygmy goat keeping and sheep keeping day by day and didn't do a course, but I'm wondering if I should find a course before we get the pigs? Or possibly a general smallholder course to cover all the livestock??
Thanks and any more photos for me to coo over would be great!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 05:13:21 pm »
I didn't but it wouldn't do any harm.

I just read up as much as i could but as you already keep other animals like sheep and goats you're halfway there already :thumbsup:

This was my first foray into the world of large animals, up until the Kune Kunes arrived I'd only ever had poultry, chickens, turkey, ducks etc oh and rabbits!  ;D

they've been pretty easy to keep so far.

Warm, dry bed, fresh water, shade, plenty access to grass/greens, room to exercise and they're happy as a  :pig: in s***  ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:16:32 pm by Clansman »

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 05:43:48 pm »
Echo Clansmans point about shade - if there aren't any trees you'll need to give them somewhere to shelter in the hottest of weather (but it can be a simple case of hanging up a tarp in a corner)
The other option for housing is old oil central heating tanks (the plastic ones) you can pick them up quite cheaply normally and after cutting a hole for a doorway and drilling some holes in the back for ventilation all they need is a good scrub out and you have a perfect (easily moved) pig arc perfect for a couple of Kunekune  :thumbsup:
* Advert on* If you join the kunekune society (only £14 a year  ;)) you'll get newsletters, access to loads of info and a regional rep who will help you source piglets and be on hand with ongoing advice/support if you need it......
Kunekune are FAB pigs  ;D Here are some more gratuitous piglet pics from my last litters  :love: :pig: :love:
HTH
Karen (BKKPS secretary  ;) :D )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS