Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: is my ram working hard enough?  (Read 2706 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
is my ram working hard enough?
« on: November 16, 2009, 01:09:40 pm »
I paid to hire a ram to serve my 4 ewes. He's a young ram and I want to check he's doing his job. I fiutted him with a crayon marker and chenged the colour after 17 days as instructed. He marked one of the ewes a lot with the first colour. Two of the other have a hint of the first colour and the fourth has the tinyist hint of the second colour.

Now my concern stems from the fact that other ewes I have seen colour marked by other rams when I'm out and about seem to have loads of colour on them. Should the ram be serving the ewes multiple times or does he just get it on once or twice and then the jobs done?

Hope you can help as I don't want to stick it out with this ram then find he's not up to the job and I should have swapped him.

thanks

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: is my ram working hard enough?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:51:22 pm »
how old his he.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:57:08 pm »
he's a young ram, I think it may be his first year - I'd have to check

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:56:52 pm »
Do you not remember your first time? The fumbling, the anticipation, the uncertainty.......give the poor ram a chance  ;)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 09:15:46 pm »
Hey sausageandcash - you been speaking to my missus?

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:46:20 pm »
I speak from the experience of all (truthful) men!! Hope the ram works out, our boar is a first timer too, but my God, did he take to the task well. We are very proud of him as he is clearly a good Catholic.....sex for procreation purposes only!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS