Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Muscovies  (Read 8236 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Muscovies
« on: August 16, 2014, 08:52:34 pm »
I know they can and do fly, how likely are they to bugger off? All go my poultry can easily fly in/out of their pen but stay within the stock fence and wall around the property-just wondering if muscovies would do the same or whether they would likely be more adventurous.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: Muscovies
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:23:42 pm »
The ones l had could fly over the out buildings , land with a bump on their chest, not  very graceful  :roflanim:
They dont quack, they hiss. Real characters though. A pleasure to keep  :thumbsup:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 09:57:26 pm »
I got 4 from Goosepimple and they flew off down to the river where foxy picked them off one by one :'(
Anne

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:13:25 pm »
I should pm Goosepimple again I think (sorry about your ducks DM).

I seem to have rescued a young, probably male muscovy. Long story-I don't physically have him yet. I've wanted ducks for a long time and had a few false starts. I love muscovies but had sort of decided they weren't for me and my set up. Now I am wondering if I can make it alright for them-safe enclosure with a roost etc plus free ranging when I am about (and whether that would be good enough for them). I could just do without them visiting neighbouring farmland. Maybe it would be better to just have another male and have them as pets,I would really only ever have room for 3/4 tops-but was hankering after ducklings  :innocent: 

I don't much care for wing clipping and was wondering that if they had everything they wanted where they were at, if they want to go elsewhere-as I said, my poultry do not stray-even when Gollum is not paying attention and the Scots Greys and Minorcas are not bad fliers.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:17:37 pm by lord flynn »

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 10:25:06 pm »
also, with young ducks that don't know much else-how easy would they be to train to come in to an enclosure? I had a couple of drakes as pets as a kid and they were like dogs (a huge KC and a aylesbury-not the same I know but have heard Muscovies are intelligent).

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 11:34:01 pm »
We had lilac Muscovies a few years back - beautiful.  We started with Alice and Lachy and soon had loads of ducklings, as the ducks are good mothers. Once the lads reached the age of gang bangs they went into the freezer.  The young ones love to swim, but the drakes are less keen as they get older.
The youngsters can fly well, but ours didn't tend to fly off.  Alice and all her daughters however could fly very well.  If she was being chased by a drake she would fly towards a fence, then lift over it at the very last minute - the drake would crash into the fence and the duck would go on her merry way - all very deliberate.
The ducks however did fly over the boundary fences and hedges, something our hens never do. A couple of them laid clutches away - we didn't see them again.  They can't be all that bright because although they would fly to get out, they would want to walk back and couldn't work out how to get through the fence.
  They would fly up onto our barn roof (it's a single storey) then down into our flower garden - grr!
The most hilarious thing was watching the drakes getting into the veggie garden.  It was surrounded by 2 metre windbreak mesh and they used their claws to climb steadily to the top then belly flop down to the ground.  The ducks just flew over.
The ducks fly well enough to do a circuit 20' above the ground, but the drakes soon become too heavy.
Ours were trained to be herded into bed at night.  They never went in on their own but would let us guide them with two long canes held to either side of the group.
One night half a dozen young drakes refused to go to bed, so they ended up staying out all night.  Next morning there were half a dozen mangled corpses festooned across the pastures.
They fetch a fair amount in the sales if you're lucky.
In the end we got fed up with the endless gang bangs and all the c3@p wherever we stood, so we sold them off in trios and ate the rest of the drakes.  We do miss them though - wonderful characters.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:35:33 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 09:40:59 am »
thankyou Fleecewife, thats a great help :)

hmm, I am not sure this is a good idea long term now, it would mean wing clipping and keeping in an enclosure and not sure it would suit this breed of duck :(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:08:23 am »

Wing clipping also means they can't get away from the fox.  I think they would become extremely miserable in a pen, so maybe best to wait.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 08:37:23 pm »
We have a Drake here that seems to really wander or should I say Fly. We shut him in on a night but he has been spotted a few times a good mile down the river, he always comes back on a night for Bed though.
I have learnt to DUCK   :innocent: when I see him flying home  ::)
Graham

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 09:24:10 pm »
this youngster is not in a great situation and the rescuer has had no other takers (not surprising for a lone drake let I guess). I expect I am more worried about them taking up residence at the trout hatchery up the road! and of course foxes. I don't know what to do now.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 11:42:25 pm »

Take this one lad and see how it goes.  He should get on well enough with your hens.  If things work well with him then get him a companion.  Muscovies are a bit like pigs in that you can share your woes with them and they always listen  ;D  With no ducks to chase, maybe he'll not realise he can fly.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 09:03:18 am »
I keep mine wing clipped, especially when the ducklings get to the flying stage or mum would take them out for a flight.

When I got my first Muscovy duck out had six ducklings and I didn't bother wing clipping it thinking it wouldn't leave them.

five minutes after I released them into the garden, mum was sitting on the neighbours roof preening herself (two storey house) watching her brood from on high!  :innocent:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 11:51:03 am »
oooh, what colour(s) you got Clansman?

ok, I will take him and see how we get on. I am stupid excited  ;D

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 12:39:18 pm »
a bit of a mix  ;D

Blacks, whites mostly with a few lavender ones in this years hatch i think.  ;D

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 01:04:42 pm »
Hi,
My Muscovies  didn't fly, I've only got the drake left now, he is so big he can hardly be bothered to walk very far never mind fly, he's always the first in the queue to be put to bed, that's why I've kept him as he is so easy to look after.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS