Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any Ixworth keepers ?  (Read 2941 times)

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Any Ixworth keepers ?
« on: August 14, 2014, 04:42:45 pm »
Just wondering if there are any Ixworth keepers out there ? As keepers of a rare breed and a worth while one in my opinion it's good to keep in touch for obvious reasons widening the gene pool etc. It's a breed often over looked for some reason and the only reason i can think of is because it's all white.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:05:04 pm by Fowlman »
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: Any Ixworth keepers ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:22:48 pm »
I have a few hens left from a hatch 2 years ago they lay very well  :trophy: reared the cocks for the table
Was going to keep one back for breeding but i must admit it was the colour and the pea comb which put me off.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:14:22 pm »
We've also got a couple of hens left from a breeding flock that I played about with a few years ago. I started with them as I liked the idea of a reasonable meat bird and a decent layer from the same breed but to be honest they were a bit of a dissapointment in both departments, hence I stopped breeding them.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 08:04:46 pm »
Compared to the meat hybrids they are slow growing and not for everyone.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 02:06:03 pm »
I've just started a flock for breeding but don't really know what I've got yet. I've hatched 20 or so from 2 different breeders and have just put in another 6 eggs from another guy to try and get a decent cockerel. But I don't think I'll know what standard they are for a while. The eldest 6 are 16 weeks and I'm struggling to tell which are hens! One is a definite cockerel but the rest are pretty much alike, unless I've been lucky with that hatch.

Have you got any links to a breed standard guide at all? My longer term plan is to breed the meatiest cockerels as I suspect that some of the size has been lost over the years.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 04:52:44 pm »
I'll try and dig out a standard stereo.  :thumbsup:

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 06:28:46 pm »

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 09:22:40 pm »
Thanks for that. The key for me will be weight I think. It says there 3.8kg for a cockerel. Anyone know what carcass that would leave you with once processed? I've read 75% of the whole bird so that would be a decent 3kg carcass. Our best RIR and Marans weighed in at 2.2kg and there was plenty of meat on those.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 09:31:32 pm »
Ye roughly 75% stereo i would say. 8-9lb is average for an Ixworth cockerel.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS