Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what kind of sand for chook bath  (Read 3004 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
what kind of sand for chook bath
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:34:45 am »
I'm just getting things ready for the chooks to come. Does it matter what kind of sand they get in their tyre to play about in? I was told it should be white sand but we would have sharp builders' sand here I could use. Just wondered if it might be harmful in any way... :&> :chook:

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: what kind of sand for chook bath
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:58:41 am »
I think your chooks will be happy with builders sand if it is nice and dry. I use all sorts of sand, depending what is knocking about,. they seem to love kiddies sandpit sand. I have even been known to dry the a pile of sand out using a tin bath and a bonfire. If i leave a pile of sand anywhere in the yard they seem to home in on it for a good scratch and a bathe.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:10:19 am »
ours would be out in the open, no chance keeping it dry, should I bother at all, Carl?  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:16:41 am »
Kerstin, I don't have a special area with sand for the chooks and they have come to no harm. As you know they are free to go wherever they want and they always, somehow, manage to find a place where they can sit and cover themselves in dust or whatever. So, how many are you getting and what type?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:57:42 am »
Hi James, Nice to see you are back (for now :)). It depends what the kind man who offered them to me will want to give me as it took me so long to get organized.... I think originally he said Black Rocks, but I know he also breeds Orpingtons, which I would like very much! I thought of 3, maybe 4 (it's getting more each time we speak ;D).  :&> :chook:

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:36:41 am »
Kerstin, it is amazing how quickly sand dries out. I only dried it on a fire because I was being being a bit ott and wanted ny chooks to be happy while I went away for a couple of days. You can always try a kiddies sandpit?paddling pool type thing. the plastic type with a lid, then you can put the lid on when it is very rainy( most of the time at the moment) you often see these on skips and at carboots.
Chickens are very addictive, so watch out, you'll end up with more than you first thought you needed.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 01:34:52 pm »
if you want to keep it dry get four short posts and a piece of tin or plywood. Knock the posts in the ground, two higher then the others and fit the sloping roof and place the sand below it

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 07:26:11 pm »
Brilliant idea, Shrekfeet.  As soon as it's dry enough to work outside I'll do that for mine.  At the moment they go right to the end of the run under the trees to shelter and that's the only dry bit of ground in the whole run so it gets a bit overcrowded, and the ducks ploutering into it doesn't help either.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 09:43:43 pm »
I used kiddies play sand but actually found they liked cheap compost better. They also pooed in it, then I put it on the garden. We have a covered dust bath but they like under the hedge best.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS