Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pneumonia  (Read 2865 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Pneumonia
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:53:43 pm »
Hi.
I've had 2 sheep off their food this week and thought it might be worms.
But no, the vet reckons it's the very start of pneumonia. ( they weren't lying down or showing distress or anything obvious either)
And they've all been heptavac'd.
Apparently the fluctuating weather is causing havoc at the moment with lots of cases in sheep and even more in cattle.
Luckily we caught it early  but I thought it might be helpful to let other people know.
J xxxxx

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Pneumonia
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:03:16 pm »
Thank you.

Apart from being off their food, are there any other things to look out for?  :-\

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:09:55 pm »
All the information I read says nasal discharge and watery eyes, but ours hadn't got that.
They just went off their food a bit and looked depressed.
Although by the time we got Flossie rounded up to vaccinate her , I did notice she'd starting breathing a bit more heavily.
I see my sheep at least 3 times a day and hand feed them so it's easy to notice them being off colour, but in a flock it would be easy to miss.
J xxxx

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 08:42:04 pm »
Treated a lamb for pneumonia today ,no  classic   symptoms  it just didn't jump up and run away it got up slowly and walked away plus its stomach was empty

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:11:00 pm »
Thanks both. Something else to think about .... sort of assumed it wouldn't be a problem once vaccinated. Wrong again.  ::)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 03:23:57 pm »
Hope she's fixing now.  What kind of pneumonia was it out of interest? 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:57:18 pm »
Thanks both. Something else to think about .... sort of assumed it wouldn't be a problem once vaccinated. Wrong again.  ::)

Vaccine only covers a limited number of diseases or most common strains of a disease, alas.  There are some that cause overwhelming septicaemia - first symptom = sudden death.  Remain vigilant!

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS