Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Time to spin ?  (Read 11533 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: . Time to spin ?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 11:50:24 pm »
I was at my spinning group today and talking to someone about dying. She showed me something made from wool she'd dyed using a beginners kit. She had already spun and plied it then she laid it on cling film while she drizzled dye on using a pipette, then wrapped the cling film round it and put it in an electric food steamer for 30 minutes. It was beautiful.

I have a steamer that I never use (it was from the days when we were able to go caravanning) so I'm going to dig it out and have a go.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 11:59:01 pm »
Also works in a microwave!

I did a workshop in which, amongst other techniques, we did the clingfilm-packet-in-a-steamer dyeing and wrote it up here

I absolutely love this technique, dyed this fibre, span it and knitted this hat
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 12:02:14 am »
Oops, I realised belatedly you were talking about dyeing yarn this way.  I did that first, then moved onto dyeing tops to spin.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 12:05:59 am »

I love  :love: the hat Sally - inspired  :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 01:11:55 am »
I'm defo going to have a go at this. Just need to spin up some white wool now.  :excited: :excited:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 08:46:23 am »
That hat is gorgeous  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 09:27:27 pm »
Yes, I fancy one of those now.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 11:07:49 pm »
My aunt sent a 'simply knitting' mag from april 2010 , that she got off a boot sale .
In it is a jacket/cardi she thought i could make . Mmmm , not yet me thinks , omg lol . However lots of interesting stuff in it , including a guide on how to knit , can already do what is in that , and a guide on how to crochet .
Thought i might have a go , but no hook . So got a bit of wood , made it roundish , made the hook bit , bingo , a crochet hook . I can now do chain stitch and double crochet , i think ? It looks right anyway .
The hook is about 4mm and the wool dk .
I will have to have a look how to crochet 'into' the double crochet bit i am doing , not very clear in the guide , to say the least . I find it very fast to crochet together .
Will have a look at basic crochet patterns online .

The knitting is still coming along , still doing the practice piece atm , but doing all the stitches as per the kids jumper pattern .

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 11:59:48 pm »
Is there no end to your talents, Russ? Crochet is great because it is fast. You can use lots of oddments to make granny squares and sew them together to make a blanket or even make a huge one to be a blanket. I still use one I make more years ago than I care to remember and it's just as warm now as it was then. The only problem with a blanket made out of hand-spun is that it will be heavy for hand-washing.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 12:19:06 am »
It does seem to make up fast Lesley , even if mine is a bit wobbly and uneven .
But i have about 6" done in double crochet so far .
Working out how to do this was easy , the instructions on making the turning chain stitch and how to continue are not so easy to work out .
Just read that the main stitch is made by going into the second chain stitch , is that correct ?
I am doing double crochet , i think ! , that goes into the third chain stitch .
When i crochet into the double crochet row i just did , do i count the same way , into the third stitch ?
Should i be doing the plain stitch really ? ( putting hook into the second stitch ) .

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 08:54:30 am »
Wow Russ, I am impressed.
Yes, as you have already found it is faster than knitting. What I like about crochet is that you only have on stitch on the hook and therefore it's much easier to pick up and put down than a row of knitting.
There are quite a few stitches in crochet, just as there are in knitting, but you can make most things with the very basic stitches.
I have quite a few Simply Knitting magazines here. What are you looking for, mens jumpers or simple children's? I will look through them and see if I can find some suitable things for you and send them on.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 12:16:29 pm »
Thankst Sally , but i am not sure what will survive the move here atm , there will be a huge bonfire as it is .
 The stuff in a full 30' caravan isn't going to fit in a 15' tourer as well as me and 3 dogs lol .
Simple kids stuff is mainly what i think would be best for me atm . Easy to knit , not much wool so cheap , if not free to make .  But as i say , space will be non existant , 2000 books , 90% of my clothes , in fact anything combustable is likely going on the fire . I can only cram so much in the small sheds i have .
Therefore only 100% essential items will escape the flames .

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: .
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 12:35:10 pm »
Thankst Sally , but i am not sure what will survive the move here atm , there will be a huge bonfire as it is .
 The stuff in a full 30' caravan isn't going to fit in a 15' tourer as well as me and 3 dogs lol .
Simple kids stuff is mainly what i think would be best for me atm . Easy to knit , not much wool so cheap , if not free to make .  But as i say , space will be non existant , 2000 books , 90% of my clothes , in fact anything combustable is likely going on the fire . I can only cram so much in the small sheds i have .
Therefore only 100% essential items will escape the flames .
OK, once you have moved, and assuming you will have a mailing address or some sort of po box, if you decide then that you want some mags let me know.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 12:52:14 pm »
Thanks mate.
Really not sure what i will have , maybe a care of address for essential mail , i just don't know as yet . PO boxes cost £ and you have to get to the place to collfect mail , no money (very little) , no transport etc etc lol .

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 01:12:44 pm »
Hide a box in the hedge on your nearest lane and make friends with the local postie,  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS