Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter planting  (Read 5826 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Winter planting
« on: August 14, 2014, 09:37:58 am »
Now we have got our raised beds nearly sorted out I would like to branch out into growing some winter veg.

Dobies have plug plants for sale. I know these are more expensive but I would like to grow them from plug plants this year and then - if it's successful - start some seedlings off a bit earlier next year.

They have the following plugs available:

Broccoli
Cabbage: (F1 winter jewel (spring green), F1 rodeo (red), F1 regency (pointed))
Cauliflower (F1 Sapporo)
Kale: (Cavalo Nero, Kale fizz)
Chard rainbow mix
Lettuce mix
Rocket mix

What are people's experiences and thoughts on growing winter veg?

Grateful for any advice
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Winter planting
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 01:27:13 pm »
I've got another batch of seedling brassicas ready to go in ..and I'll be doing another lot from seed as well - if only because this year they've been growing too well and some of the earlier plantings will have flowered before the cold sets in. You missed purple sprouting off your list..

I have a few chard just sprouted in the greenhouse but usualy by october I'm stripping the house out and jeyes fluiding everything so it gets decontaminated for next year (inevitably the botrytis will hit again by Oct) - and then it's usually too late to plant anything for winter in there and the growth rate outdoors with low sun means i won't have lettuce or chard etc but with plenty of stuff like brasscias, carrots, parsnips and leeks outside it shouldn;t be an issue

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 02:02:25 pm »
I've got curly kale going that should manage most of the winter and I've planted a load of seeds of something like japanese broccoli (?) which is a short growth brassica to have a go with.  I've chard to go in but don't have a good record growing cabbages and caulis so probably won't bother this year until I get my new raised beds sorted for next season :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 02:44:10 pm »

I usually grow purple sprouting broccoli and various kales.  I no longer grow cabbages as they grow beautifully but we never eat them all.  I don't grow caulis here either as they don't do well, or they're all ready at the same time, or the caterpillars turn them to green mush.  I sometimes grow a little chard but we don't like to eat it often.  I don't eat rocket at all, vile stuff, and the only winter salad which works for me is mizuna, which doesn't mind being frozen solid and will grow outside even with deep freezer temps.  I keep meaning to sow lamb's lettuce but have only occasionally managed as I get the timing all wrong.  I also grow winter leeks.

Some winters here are too cold or too snowy for even the toughest brassicas and leeks, and in some years I've lost the lot, so I now grow some backups in the tunnel.

Depending on your climate, you can sow certain varieties of broad bean to overwinter and possibly be ready a week or two earlier than spring sown.  Certain garlic varieties need to be sown in the autumn (about Nov) and you can grow overwintering/Japanese onions
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:59:55 pm »
So do you think I could start form seed with cabbage, broccoli and chard if I get my skates on? They would be outside (mid-Wwales) but reasonably sheltered and in raised beds. I could keep them protected at a pinch.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:06:48 pm »
you've got nothing to lose..all those seeds keep and plenty per packet for the next 2 years. Brassicas in modules to start.. chard direct or modules

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 09:28:58 pm »
So do you think I could start form seed with cabbage, broccoli and chard if I get my skates on? They would be outside (mid-Wwales) but reasonably sheltered and in raised beds. I could keep them protected at a pinch.

I think you're probably too late to start broccoli so late from seed, but you are right on time for spring cabbage (and wallflowers).  Kale, esp dwarf green curled, should do alright as you can eat it when it's quite small as well as when it grows larger.  Chard will be fine from the point of view of sowing now, but I've no idea how it would last a winter outside.  here, chard always dies down over the winter but always pops back up as soon as the temp warms in spring.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 11:44:23 pm »
My chard dies down in winter as well. As we are about as far north as you are, it seems likely that it would do the same for you unless you are growing under cover, in which case it might work. Worth a try anyway.

I need to get my spring cabbage started soon.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 08:13:33 am »
Right - my plan is:

Start with some cabbage and kale seeds now
Get broccoli plugs

Be more organised next year!! :thumbsup:

Thankyou for helping me formulate my plan.

We had another 13 tonnes of topsoil delivered yesterday….. absolutely BEAUTIFUL stuff……… and I only ordered it yesterday morning!! so there's nothing stopping us filling the rest of the raised beds.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:12:18 am by suziequeue »

smhowie

• Joined May 2014
  • irvine, ayrshire, scotland
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 10:21:00 am »
trying it for the first time this year will let you know how it goes  :thumbsup:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 10:42:39 am »
My chard over wintered outside okay last year and we are certainly further north and we are quite high up. That said it was a mild winter.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 12:50:47 pm »
What is chard?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 02:57:50 pm »
What is chard?

"Wot my wife does to ma dinna"

Related to perpetual spinach:. rainbow chard, ruby chard, swiss chard.. can be used as baby leaf or cut and come again .. tasty leaves when bigger steam or str fry also the stems .. the rainbow variant has lots of different coloured stem plants from pale to white through yellow red and vivid mauve - lovely colour to add to salads

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 03:39:45 pm »
Something ate my current batch of nice seedlings that I was going to plant out today - they were fine 2 days ago on an outside bench and the bites look too small for slugs and no vivible bugs. It happens and I'm still prepared to sow some more this afternoon.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 03:46:23 pm »
Mice?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS