Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rules re: Disposal of dead sheep  (Read 18958 times)

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
Rules re: Disposal of dead sheep
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:38:18 am »
It seems a bit weird to ask this question before my sheep even arrive but I am guessing that disposing of a dead sheep isn't the same as for cats/dogs/horses as there may be regs regarding this? I can't seem to pinpoint exactly what I should do when I find myself in this position. I feel I should know this in advance of such a situation, both for me and for anyone else who might be caring for them at the time if I am away.
My sheep are coming as 'mowers'/pets for the paddocks. Presumeably a vet will put one down in an emergency situation or I might just find that one has died but what should I do next? I know that I can't bury them on the land.  Does it have to be a knackerman? Do I have to take it to an abattoir (if it is already dead?!). I guess the 'Pet Crematorium' where I take my dogs might look at me a bit sideways if I turn up with a sheep (!!) but maybe I can't do that anyway?  If I remove it myself from my land, can I put it in the back of my 4x4 to transport it to where it needs to go or is this also against the rules?
I would value your advice and then I can just make a note of this and put it to one side until I need it. Hopefully not for a long time.
Thankyou for your help.
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
Re: Rules re: Disposal of dead sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:43:07 am »
The Vet had to put down a lamb of mine yesterday and then I called Northern Fallen Stock and they are collecting today and its about £14. You cant dig a hole or anything else now. 0845 602 9749 and they cover the whole of the north of England if you are from around that area but will be able to advise you to of another if not.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:21:51 am »
The regs for the UK are here: http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/disease-control/abp/fallen-stock-faq/

where it specifically states that pet sheep come under farm-type regs.

This is all part of the rules dealing with waste management but it's a made a mockery of by cases like the bad winter a couple of years ago when gov allowed farm burial because of the large numbers of stock that died.

Originally whem the rules were formulated they included pet animals until someone realised that peope would just break that rule anyway. Indeed originally there was much argument that if a pet was euthanased in a veterinary clinic then it became part of that clinic's clinical waste and again shouldn't be allowed home with the owner - another law that was going to be unenforceable so was changed.

I've got a problem rescue pet lamb that may have to go - she's having problems ruminating with a  crow pecked-out tongue and we've been battling with keeping her going to see if she'll adapt.

Frankly I'd have ignored the law and buried her here if/when she had to go (there's no records of her arrival) except that my back issues mean I couldn't dig a seriously sensible hole by hand and don't have a mechanical digger. When you've nursed, cuddled and pampered Dudliea this long you don't want ending up in a maggot farm. Finding a licensed waste service you actually believe cremates that can deal with sheep might be an issue. And I'm pretty pragmatic about 'a dead thing being a dead thing'

I know back when I had my practice we had the nonsense of grading clinical waste with soem grades such as waste chemotherapy stuff being sent off at way higher costs than basic waste - all of which went in sealed bins that should never be opened..and as far as I could tell all ended up in the same incinerator - just at higher cost for the same process!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:24:07 am »
Douglasbrae for north and central Scotland 01542882728.  They may cover west and borders but I don't know for sure. They'd tell you who else if not and are very good.  They've taken ponies for me after vet has pts and cover most species.  Drivers are very helpful even in difficult circs.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:37:00 am »
If you are in the South-West check out Fromevale - fallen stock services. 
We are lucky the depot is only 20 mins away and they are happy for you to take a dead animal directly to them - saves cost and the awfullness of having the body at your premises.  Call first though.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:38:49 am »
If you tell us whereabouts you are, chances are there is someone on here in the same area who can give you the name and number of your local fallen stock company who you would ring in those circumstances.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:14:05 am »
Thank you all very much for your helpful replies.
Sorry to hear about your lamb pgkevet. Very sad and as you say, once they have been nursed, cuddled etc. 'caring' for them afterwards feels a bit different.
I am in Hampshire (North edge though so also near, Berkshire). Sorry, I should have out my location before. To be honest, I thought most people would think this was a stupid question but now, I'm really glad that I asked it. It's been lurking about at the back of my mind but once I have a contingency plan, I know that I will fell better about it all.
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 11:38:03 am »
Definitely not a stupid question, it is responsible and sensible to think of this now, then you have one less thing to worry about at a difficult time.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 12:20:18 pm »
You can't transport an unfit animal; the knackermen are also qualified to kill fallen stock. You could also try your local Hunt if you have one - I believe sometimes the huntsmen will kill and remove for hound food.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 12:33:05 pm »

I second that the knackermen can also kill your animal and they do it quickly and cleanly, with no stress to the sheep. We have used this service a few times and it means a dying sheep doesn't get put through the stress of being moved around or leaving the familiar behind. It also means you don't have an extra callout fee for the vet to pay.
Our company, Grayshill, are very good about the speed with which they attend.  If you phone in the morning they will usually come that day, or the following day at the latest.
If we have found a sheep dead we put it in a wheelbarrow outside the gate, covered with a bag for the sake of the public, and they remove it with no fuss. 
If we need one killed we put it in a small pen as near to the road as possible, so the knackerman isn't traipsing bugs and disease across our land, then Mr F goes with the man to keep the sheep calm while he does the deed.
This company incinerates the carcases and they are not eaten by anything.

Very sensible to have this sorted out in advance, rather than waiting until it happens to you and you don't know how to deal with it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 04:25:31 pm »
Worth makihg contact with your local Hunt kennels, if nearby. Ours takes carcases as a favour to the farmers who allow them access onto their land during the hunting season. If the kennels uses the meat for the hounds you MUST mark animals euthanased by the vet with something obvious.like a huge red spray marker cross.  Our Hunt charges the same as the knackerman - advantage is that you can take the animal straight away whereas the knackerman can take a day or so at busy times.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 04:57:34 pm »
Another vote for using hunt kennels.  The local beagle pack really prefer sheep/goats to horses/cows as they are of a handier size for them and they do not have to store excess flesh.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 08:50:15 pm »
Not in your area but these are supposed to be good and they have a good website, http://www.holtscremations.co.uk/ this may also worth looking in to,
http://www.nfsco.co.uk/about-the-scheme.php#1_1
 The hunts are really good, and you know nothing is wasted

FCA

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 08:05:00 am »
Here's just another option which I feel might open me up to howls of laughter, but here goes!  You mentioned the pet crematorium - well I investigated this option a few years ago when the first of our elderly pet sheep was reaching the end and was told that they are unable to take cloven hooved animals (therefore no sheep or goats).
I knew that we would prefer not to use hunt kennels, knackerman or fallen stock scheme so began investigating the alternatives, fearing that there would not be any.
I came across a farm animal cremation company in West Sussex and we went there and received an amazing service.  Our vet euthanised the sheep at home, we took her in our trailer to their premises, were able to load her into the cremator ourselves (although there were staff on hand to do it as well) and then we went back later to pick up her ashes.  We have done this for the last three of our original four sheep over the last couple of years.  If you do not have the means of taking the body yourself, they will come and collect.  I would not hesitate to recommend them if this is an option that is suitable for you, although I do accept that it will not be for everyone.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 08:38:19 am »
Our  local hunt take ours much cheaper than knacker man and very quick to pick up fallen stock.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS