Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A bit of froth.  (Read 1930 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
A bit of froth.
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:43 pm »
Hi everyone.  I haven't been around for ages and ages and for that I apologise, but here I am again, asking for help. This evening, just before bedtime, we noticed that Billy had a little bit of froth round his  mouth and he was dribbling. I looked it up and it said about bloat, but he had none of the other symptoms. He was running and jumping around as usual, his eyes were clear and bright, his little tail was up and his tummy wasn't distended in any way. By the time I actually took them to bed, it had stopped. Do you think he just had a bit of wind that he cleared himself? He hasn't had access to mouldy or dodgy food as its now kept in the house as I can trust the boys not to eat it all day. He has just been eating bushes and bits from the grass as usual. Any ideas? Thanks.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: A bit of froth.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 07:48:19 am »
Let Billy out this morning and he had a little bit of white stuff around his mouth again. However, the rest of him looks fine. He is eating and pooping well just as he should be. I cant feel any gurgling in his stomach either. Could it just be something he has eaten but hasn't passed yet? If he still has the problem I'll have to phone the vet, but how on earth do I describe this in French???

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:37:59 am »
Some goats will produce a bit of froth when cudding, without it being a symptom of anything wrong.  It may be a passing phase due to teething?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:08:30 am »
I'm not sure how old Billy is, but our mature billy really slobbers and froths at the mouth when he is excited about the girls coming in season, which they have just started.
Maybe its a boy thing?

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:49:27 am »
Some goats will produce a bit of froth when cudding, without it being a symptom of anything wrong.  It may be a passing phase due to teething?
Ive worked it out, it could be that his last big teeth are coming through. I doubt that he will let me have a look! As there are no other signs Ill just keep an eye on him. He is absolutely fine in all other respects, and Toby his brother is fine too. Thanks for your help folks. Would the boys still get a bit randy if they have been "done" and if we don't have any female goats?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:50:52 pm »
Are there any female goats in the vicinity, Mary? I know a dog can pick up when a bitch is in season from miles away. Maybe goats can as well.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:48:04 am »
No females that I know of Lesley, however, Billy is often trying to mount Toby, so perhaps he is a gay goat. Anyway, no sign of froth since yesterday morning, so I think whatever it was has passed. Thanks to all for your help as always. You are still a great bunch!!!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 11:40:05 pm »
Glad to hear he seems alright.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS