Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Checking to avoid barn fires  (Read 3344 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Checking to avoid barn fires
« on: August 12, 2014, 06:17:52 pm »
Just a reminder from our local Fire Service.  Doesn't matter where you live, it's better safe than sorry.

This is a message from Dorset Police, which is sent on behalf of Dorset Fire and Rescue Service.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service recently attended 3 serious barn fires in 2 days, it appears that they were caused by spontaneous combustion of straw and/or hay.  You are asked to check your barns regularly looking for heating of hay and a distinctive chocolate/caramel aroma, which indicates the stack is heating up.  If you suspect there may be a deep seated fire, call Dorset Fire and Rescue immediately on 999 and move personnel and livestock from the area, as any investigative movement of the bales can cause the fire to spread rapidly.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Checking to avoid barn fires
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 08:57:21 pm »
Many thanks for this. Something else to worry about ????
Can anyone explain what the indicators or risk factors are for spontaneous combustion of hay ?
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:56:15 pm »
storing damp  made hay  causes the natural bacteria and fungi in the air to start feasting on the nitrogen 7 sugars in the hay , this makes for heat . The heat can easily run to 150 o F and not be any problem but if it starts to go above it can simply burst into flames or start smouldering .

The old farmers used to shove / hammer a 10 or 12 foot long steel bar ( With an eye welded towards the outer end of the bar to aid extraction 0  in the pile of hay or bales of hay along a joint line in the bales  and pull it out after an hour or so.
If it was too hot to handle at teh hot end they knew they had a problem .

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:57:56 am »
we have wrapped haylage and only a small amount of bought in straw so that wouldn't be a problem.... BUT this is the only farm I have ever been on where people are allowed to smoke, in the barns and wherever!! its disgusting and I do worry about it.. I am a not smoker...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 09:55:58 am »
I can't stand people smoking anywhere near any livestock, and it gives me the heebie-jeebies to see people with lit fags anywhere near hay or straw. :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 01:41:18 pm »
That would really annoy me too, we have a complete smoking ban here, any visitors who wish to smoke are sent back along the lane and over the bridge onto the public road.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS