Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Paypal warning  (Read 4276 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Paypal warning
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:09:13 pm »

Tried to draw some cash today but my account showed there were no funds available. I knew this wasn't true so I went in the bank to ask. Apparently five amounts, totally nearly £2000 had been taken by direct debit by Paypal. As I didn't authorise these and as they had come out today, I was able to have the DD cancelled and the money returned by my bank. The DD facility has also be stopped so it can't happen again. I tried to log into Paypal to let them know that my account has been hacked FOR THE THIRD TIME but they don't recognise my latest password. I tried to reset it twice but do not receive the email that they claim has been sent to me.  :rant:

Last time I trust Paypal. They claim to be the safest method of paying money but to be have my account hacked into three times in less than five years and with different passwords doesn't fill me with confidence. I will never use Paypal again.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Paypal warning
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:24:02 pm »
Lesley, that is terrible. I use Paypal quite a bit and have never had any problems  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Zebedee

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:37:33 pm »
These scammers are becoming more and more sophisticated. I thought I'd never get gulled into coughing up password details, that is until an extremely authentic looking BT/Yahoo mail came my way recently and said I had to upgrade and login to their new, free service, which I duly did. Phished I was. Well and truly.

Also had a cheque for nearly £2,000 intercepted en route which ended up being paid into some West African-sounding account. That's called cheque conversion fraud. Fortunately Natwest investigated quickly, confirmed the payee details had been expertly changed by forgery and repaid the monies without ado. And, not long before that, someone up in Scotland (I live in Dorset!) managed to con a mobile 'phone and airtime from Orange simply using my name and address details. Found that one out when Orange started sending threatening letters. I said 'how can you possibly give a 'phone away up in Perth on the strength of my name and address alone?'. I never got an answer to that one.

Stay vigilant. It's not just the government constantly after your money.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:20:03 pm »
My PAypal account was hacked some years ago and I wouldn't have known had PP not phoned me to ask if these payments to America were correct.  It wasn't much - but a lot to a pensioner like me - £200 I think, So I have stayed with them.  It isn't theri fault, hackers are getting smarter and smarter.  That said I've just checked my account to be sure all is well.  There is a maximum limit on what can be taken from my bank account - was that not the case with yours, MGM?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:23:22 pm »
There is no limit to what can be taken by D/D. There is a limit as to what can be taken by a cash withdrawal at the ATM. Fraudsters are clever, clever people. They are exceptionally good at their jobs. And it is hard for banks, companies, and PayPal to combat that fraud.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:01:40 pm »
I have a 'pay after delivery' option on my PP account - gives me 14 days to sort anything out.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:08:21 pm »
If I could get in touch with them it wouldn't be so bad but my account has been blocked. Surely they should know this?

Last time my account was hacked, once I could finally get hold of someone, the only response I had from Paypal was to lock my account for six months with £300 that someone else had transferred from my bank account to my Paypal account. I was told I couldn't access it for that time. When I complained that it was a fraudulent transfer and they had been notified of this, they closed my account completely saying it was because I was a bad customer who defaulted on fulfilling orders after receiving the money from customers. I have never ever sold anything through Paypal. They did eventually reinstate it but not a word of apology. I withdrew the £300 and swore I would never use them again. Unfortunately, so many people insist on Paypal payments only so I opened another account. Never again.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 05:00:56 am »
I have phoned with success to Paypal (I think it was a number in Ireland) They were very helpfull. As I use Skype it wasn't too expensive, though it took time to sort my problem out. I admit it was a different, not so worrying problem as yours, but it was a relief to talk to a real person.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 08:36:59 am »
That's awful news  :(

I've not had any problems with them as a buyer and my online shop uses Paypal and for the past 4 years (touch wood) no issues at all.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 08:49:38 am »
Well a couple of years ago I had £23 withdrawn from my bank account to paypal and I've never had a paypal account. For that reason I noticed it immediately, contacted my bank, and they refunded the money.
 However, if I had had an account with them I might not have noticed a relatively small amount. Makes you realise - if there's someone taking small amounts from dozens of accounts at a time then they can soon get a lot of money in total without some victims, who use paypal a lot,  even noticing.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 11:15:45 am »
Set up a security key within paypal, like a mobile phone number.  It means that you (or anyone else) won't be able to login unless you provide the number which paypal txt to you during the login process.  It's like a two stage authentication.

Also, never use a password on paypal that you have used elsewhere.  Likewise, online banking, make sure your password is unique.  That means if like amazon or Linkedin or whomever get hacked then the hackers can't then use the same password/email combo to get into other things like paypal.

Oh and also, try to only use a credit or debit card through paypal, rather than direct to your bank account.  You might have more protection that way.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 10:37:41 pm »
Well a couple of years ago I had £23 withdrawn from my bank account to paypal and I've never had a paypal account. For that reason I noticed it immediately, contacted my bank, and they refunded the money.
 However, if I had had an account with them I might not have noticed a relatively small amount. Makes you realise - if there's someone taking small amounts from dozens of accounts at a time then they can soon get a lot of money in total without some victims, who use paypal a lot,  even noticing.

I think the thieves take small amounts first to see if you notice. This has happened to me on all three occasions. The second time my account was hacked into, it was someone who must have been doing it just because they could. After the small amount was taken, it was put back in on the same day, then a large amount was put in and then taken out and a larger amount taken out but then paid in the next day (this one caused me bank charges as I had a direct debit go out the same day which put me in the red). Finally, the £300 was transferred from my bank account to my Paypal account and this was the money that I had trouble getting out again. It was for my mortgage so that was difficult to pay that month.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS