Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long for grass to establish on bare land?  (Read 2403 times)

Bigdreams

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Devon
How long for grass to establish on bare land?
« on: August 10, 2014, 07:22:58 pm »
We have land!!!  ;D ;D A lady who's dogs I groom owns 5 acres of land. I mentioned my partner and I are looking for one acre to start our own smallholding and she has said yes  :thumbsup: a local farmer has a wheat crop on the land to harvest. Once that is done we are free to get on our peace of heaven but want to sow grass seed with a view to having kune kune pigs on it in the future. How long will it take this bare land to establish grass after seed has been sown and also what type of grass? The wildlife lover in me wants to go for a lovely mixed meadow but is this suitable to livestock? We will be putting poly tunnels for vegetables and have soft fruit so the not the whole area will be seeded. Advice please  ;D :pig:
Dreaming big

Victorian Farmer

Re: How long for grass to establish on bare land?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 07:58:41 pm »
It will take time.I started november weed killed 15 acers left for 2 weeks then diskt it 4 times .we then pict it and adid sand .planted grass tuff grass about a bag a acer    £56 pound a sack and planted easter .It is naw very good .we have cut it a month ago well worth the time .The most costley was the hawthorn hedge 4 plants a meter at £10 through the middle well worth doin .

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:24:20 pm »
I wouldn't plough it, just get someone to put a harrow over it and direct drill or over sow with grass seed. That way the land will not need so long to settle and also any native local grasses will already be in the seed bed. If you do this in September you will have some grass by April/ May and I would just roll , mow or put a few sheep on it to pack it down some more. An acre seems a lot but once you put your paths acess in etc , muckheap or compost bins  it will not be that big. Have fun, I love the planning.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:41:26 am »
Cotswold Seeds do a very nice catalogue which will explain the different types of grasses/wild flowers  and their mixtures.  Good luck with your project :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:57:25 pm »
Whatever you sow the pigs will trash it in a few weeks!  Just try not to let docks, thistles, nettles or ragwort get a hold before they get on it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS