Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed bins - rodent proof  (Read 16378 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Feed bins - rodent proof
« on: August 10, 2014, 11:06:25 am »
We have now got a couple of pygmy goats, three Ouessant sheep and some chickens and hope to add pigs to our smallholding soon.
We need to store the feed out of reach of rodents and I've been looking at galvanised feed bins online and they look perfect apart from the price!
So I'm wondering if instead of getting a purpose made 3 compartment feed store, can we use much cheaper galvanised dustbins instead, which won't have the lift-up lids that close securely.
Will rats be able to push the lid off a metal dustbin? Is there a way to secure the lid on?
Thanks very much and hope it's not a stupid question.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Feed bins - rodent proof
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:18:33 am »

We bought two galvanised bins years ago, one with no internal divisions, the other with one.  They have been well worth the outlay.  Previously we had, in our innocence stacked feed sacks on a pallet  :roflanim:.  Then we tried a plastic dustbin but rats gnawed through the lid, fell in, couldn't get out, ate all the stuff in there, then ate eachother  :o, leaving just one which I assume died of thirst.

I think galvanised dustbins would work well, with the advantage that you could lift and tip them to get the last dregs out.  Can't you get a design where the lid twists on?  Or you could use a luggage elastic from the handles on the side, up and through the handle on the lid to the other side handle.  Rats might gnaw through that eventually, but I think you'd have time to notice.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:43:24 am »
We use galvanised dustbins and haven't had any problems
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 11:45:15 am »
Same as the above galvo bins x

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 11:58:31 am »
I use big plastic bins from a local bakery, they used to hold flour etc and also old cattle lick buckets with lids and they hold a surprising amount of feed. They work really well and cost nothing but we don't have rats here so may not be good for you.

I've heard of people using old chest freezers to store feed but I don't know if condensation might be a problem.

Also, if there are foxes around as well they will probably be able to lift the lid on a dustbin.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 12:03:33 pm »
We also use the galvanised dustbins. Cheap and light enough to empty the bottom bits before refilling with fresh. The lids on ours aren't very secure but they are stored in a plastic storage cupboard so not a problem. An elasticated clip would do the trick if you store it outside.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 12:10:06 pm »
Galvanised bins with a bungee strap through the handle to hold the lid down- you'll soon notice if anything is chewing the straps.  And for a few sacks, an old chest freezer.

The proper bins are great, but if you spill anything inside it is a devil to clean out if you are an old shortie like me :roflanim: , and no good for your back lifting bags out ::) - same goes for a freezer though.

The rats here chew through any plastic bins >:(

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 12:52:04 pm »
Chest freezers are the answer here .... currently have 3 ... one stores poultry feed one for sheep and one for dog food..... and just found a small one left in a layby which we intend to use to transport meat back from abattoir....   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 12:59:19 pm »
We use dustbins with a rock or ropes and various old fridges and freezers.  We even went and recused a great fridge freezer from our tip recently :-). They aren't supposed to do that, but our guys realise that reuse is better than recycle :-)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 01:10:30 pm »
You may just need to check the rules about food for different species being kept separately... ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 01:47:44 pm »
I found that layers pellets were a problem as they couldn't be kept near the pig and sheep food. I don't buy them now but when I did they were kept in a separate stable.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 10:11:58 pm »
Everyone I know uses wheelie bins

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 10:19:38 pm »
I use dustbins. The goats are far more of a problem removing lids, than rats are! I tie on the lids with the ubiquitous baler twine, because it's non-elastic. Bungies they can still push up and get their heads in.

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 11:14:10 pm »

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 08:18:13 am »
I use one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-COAL-BUNKER-10cwt-storage-grain-corn-feed-store-/371119659233?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item56687498e1

It holds about 20 bags of feed, and whilst not as robust as some bins (I don't think it would last too long if it had a ton of loose coal dumped in it every week), is certainly rat proof and if fine for what we use it for.  Quite a lot cheaper than the feed bins advertised.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS