Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Food rotation and storage  (Read 1868 times)

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
Food rotation and storage
« on: November 14, 2009, 11:36:34 am »
I think I already mentioned this before, but we have run a food rotation system for over 9 years now. Perhaps it is time to open a discussion about this. It is really a follow on from Russ and his food shortage post.

At first we were considered odd to say the lease my most friends and family. Now in 2009 several of out critics are using the same system. Indeed one friend always likes to take a peep at our store room when he visits.

I am not of the opinion that the world is going to end soon, but I feel the likelyhood of some extreme problems are there. If we were all without work, the last thing we want to worry about is lack of food.  There is also no point in last minute stocking up of food in an emergency as the stores will be out of food within hours.

There are several things you need for a good food rotation system. In no real order.....

1 PATIENCE     It will not happen overnight. Buy when your budget allows. Build up as soon as you can without straining your budget.

2 GOOD PLANNING   Buy and stock the items you like to eat !!  Work out your food requirements, first by your monthly needs, then x 13 allowing one months extra to be on the safe side.

3  ROTATE NOT HOARD    Make sure you are using the oldest stock all the time.

4.  STORE IN THE RIGHT PLACE    Secure your food in the right place, in the right kind of containers.

These are just a few pointers to good food rotation. Google for more ideas. The latter day saints have some very good sites and ideas.

I am happy to share this in more detail here with you.

Kevin 

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: Food rotation and storage
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:51:40 am »
We built a pantry under the stairs, now we never run out of non perishables, almost everything is to hand. This has saved us a small fortune on runs to town for small bits and pieces.

Thanks KevKev and Russ, ye've made my world a better place!

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
Re: Food rotation and storage
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:16:38 pm »
Lots of time saved as well !

Good stuff

Kevin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS