Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig skin complaint  (Read 3269 times)

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
Pig skin complaint
« on: November 13, 2009, 02:09:39 pm »
 Hello,

One of our Saddleback girls has a raised circular patch near the base of her tail, its just like a ring. I am not sure if she has just cut herself of if it is something more serious. They have all been wormed and she is happy enough and eating very well. Does anyone know what it may be ?? She is 5 months old.

Thanks

Debbie

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
Re: Pig skin complaint
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 05:25:35 pm »
Sounds like ringworm, which is not a worm at all. Be careful, you can catch it from her, and spread it too. Here is an article I found:  This is an uncommon condition in the pig but where it does exist it is of little economic significance. However it is a condition that can be transmitted to the human. It is caused by a dematophyte fungus. Unlike other animals there is no specific host-adapted species. Trichophyton and Microsporum species are involved. Infected skin shows gradually increasing circular areas of light to dark brown discoloration behind the ears and on the back and flanks.

Infection can occur in all classes of stock. The fungi enter the skin through abrasions and diagnosis is made by examining scrapings from suspicious areas under the microscope to look for fungal spores. Treatment consists of washing the area with 1% savlon or hexetadene skin disinfectants or fungicides. In cases where infection is widespread, which would be rare, the pig can be treated orally with griseofulvin antibiotic at a level of 10mg/kg for a period of 7 days
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 05:33:39 pm »
Think Cameldairy is right, get vet out now.  Dont touch her anywhere unless you are wearing disposable gloves.  Isolate her.  You will need to treat all surfaces she may have touched, arc, fence posts etc.  (Unless things have changed in the last 10 years).

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 11:42:34 pm »
Hello Thanks for the advice, I am not sure if it is ringworm, I have looked it up and it say's that there is more than one spot and discolouration of the skin. 
It is not just a circle it is a raised wound. We wondered if it could possibly be an abscess. Think I will call the vet out on Monday just to be certain.

Thanks

Debbie

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 09:22:47 am »
Best thing, until then dont touch her with unprotected skin  ------ just in case.

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:54:00 am »
Just had the vet here, she said it is an infected wound. Which is kind of good, am pleased it is nothing serious, was fun and games trying to do the injection, but luckily the vet keeps pigs herself... We have to do the next 2 days on our own though.... that should be fun.

Thanks for the advice

Debbie  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 06:37:05 pm »
Am so relieved that it isnt ring worm.  OUr stables had a case once, it was a nightmare.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 09:49:47 pm »
I got it years ago from handling calves. I got some pills that cleared it up n no time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS