Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too much veg  (Read 8701 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Too much veg
« on: August 07, 2014, 06:06:46 pm »
I kew I was overboard on growing. As they say - better too much than too little (unless it's C4 and you only want to blow the bloody doors off)

Last year I strained both shoulders polesawing a fallen huge oak that had hung up.. so weeeding didn;t get done well enough nd the crop was just more than enough.. apart from the beans: 30 metres of runner bean pole systems for 2 people was a touch OTT with sme 3/400 plants as well as the french and berlotti.

Frankly i ove runner beans but processing them for the freezer is a royal pain. gadgets exist but reviews are not good and I seriosuly hate it when a bit of bean string gets by and catches in my throad while i'm pigging them down - so I'm anal about de stringing and i like my runners in even diamonds.

French beans are easy. So this year i shoved in 200 dwarf and about 50 climbing beans and same for runners. I didn't really see the point of berlotti after growing them so skipped those.

My review is that french beans are lovely but I don't do well bending and I did get soem weeds I coulnd;t keep up with making a mess of that triple row. Clibing beans I believe have a better flavour, longer, more uniform and way easier to harvest. I aven;t even bothered with the runners...there's bucketfulls on the vines but i have afreezerf ull of french and climbing as well as jars of them pickled (lovely).

I recon next year i might just get sesible and just stick with the cimbing in a sane number (I wish - I'm stupid and by next year the seeds will all go in again)

After shelling out 2 bucketfulls of peas as well as assorted meals I'm glad i only sowed the 20 metres this year. last year i did three rows and ended up leaving a load 'cos it was too much.

At least with carrots one can leave them in the ground - I did last year and was still digging them out in march. 50-60 meters is probably a tad much though..but then we all had trouble with germination and re-sowed. same with parsnips. they were really slower tha even parsnips should be and i did lose 1 row i rotorvated before rememberig I'd sown them so stuck an extra one in. Yeah.. 60 metres of parsnips ight be too much for the two of us but again they can stay in the ground.

As I reported earlier some of my onions bolted.. but suprisingly most didn;t. A few look scanky but there;s a good 300 ace ones.. they'll store.

Sweetcorn has been a nemesis. last 2 years the patch has been attacked by hares or badgers and I;ve been hard pressed to harvest eough for us. This years 200 have been left alone. 50 in the freezer already with plans to double that and try to give the rest away.

My first sowing of red drumhead cabbage is looking super,, but nt quite sure what i;m going to do with 40 of those when i already have second and third more modest swings as well as greyhound and savoy. Yup I beat the cabbage whites so far this year.

Aoart from me and the wife no-one aroudn here seems to eat curly kale..not even my few sheep so not sure what to do with the truckload of that - probably be compost.

You can guess that the other brassicas and turnips are in similar quantity.

Perhaps next year I will hold myself in check (or perhaps not)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Too much veg
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 06:17:29 pm »
Surely you can find some people who would really benefit from your enthusiasm?  Any food banks near you? If not ask local vicar who will know of local families who could benefit from some fresh veg ......
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 06:55:34 pm »
Surely you can find some people who would really benefit from your enthusiasm?  Any food banks near you? If not ask local vicar who will know of local families who could benefit from some fresh veg ......

You'ld think.. but this is a small rural community and looks like most do grow their own. I;ve already put the word out in the pub and forced produce on neighbours and delivery guys that aren't too strapped for time.

Last year i did manage to give away a tractor bucket of spuds but still dumped another and dumped another 2 sacks we never ate our way through this spring that chitted too far.

I'd stick free boxes by the front gate if there was any traffic.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:18:07 pm »
I understand how you can get so carried away  :garden:  I find seed sowing irresistable, even planting out and tying in tomatoes etc.  Once it gets to the weeding though I'm absolutely hopeless, so we can lose crops that way.  Where we are, there can be huge differences between seasons, so I always tell myself I need to sow just a few extra......  Then when I sow in modules I put in 2 or 3 seeds, 'knowing' I'll be strict and thin them to one as early as possible, but of course I can't throw out all those healthy baby seedlings, so I end up with too many.
I used to sell the surplus at the gate (we do get some passing traffic as although it's a tiny road it's a rat run)  However, I got annoyed growing stuff for younger and fitter folk who could so easily have grown their own, that now I keep everything for us or our offspring and their offspring, who get some whenever we see them.
I do try to be strict with myself each year, and this year I grew only three bags of spuds - 60 ish plants, but they grow prolifically here so that may well still be too many.  You can never have too many tomatoes and beans in my book, so I'm overwhelmed with the freezing too.
It's the amount of work involved I think about now, rather than how many seeds I've got so the amounts I grow are definitely less than in previous years.
Growing is just too exciting and addictive to stop  ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:58:39 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:29:10 pm »
weeding is the big issue here too. I have to crawl when doing it by hand and they finally outgrew the hoeing and rotorvating options with weeds too close to the plants. It takes me about an hour to crawl and handweed between 2 rows. I've abandoned the rows of perennial flower seeds I shoved in - not quite sure why I did ..some idea of making flower beds next year but really got enough to do. In those weeds there's a bunch of lupin, delphinium, carnation and hollyhock young plants but probably not more than 30 or 40 of each. it'll probably be careful glyphosate soon on the calabrese and pea rows when they've finally given up o deal with weed residue then the french beans and the flowers.

As to spuds.. i think i shoved 400 odd in .. I didn't count but it's 8.5 x 20 metre rows and we're still eating first earlies that are now rather huge. I bush does us both for three days. I have been hit with blight so they're all blue/green from DIY bordeaux but hanging in there to get as much as possible before forced to lift the lot.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:02:39 pm »

I have to crawl along on my hands and knees too  :roflanim:  I wear carpet fitters knee pads, and the toes of my work boots have worn right through  ::)  It's great for exercising the abdo muscles, but what lengths we go to to grow our veggies and flowers  :garden:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 12:06:06 am »
I suspect I would be the same if I had more growing space. As it is I grew thirty climbing French beans and 20 runners which I suspect is a tad too much for two of us. And five courgette plants is excessive when there's only me that eats them. Same with about 20 tomato plants although OH will eat them occasionally. I can't do the crawling along but I have a lad working for me who does the bits I can't hoe.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 07:05:15 am »
Space isn't an issue. If I knew how to sell a crop and manage it on a  commercial quantity I'd have a go.. but you can't hand-weed several acres and it'd take a couple of years of weed nuke-ing and soil improving to get the acreage into shape for crops. It's my third year with these veggie patches to get their soil pretty good.  I've promised myself a pto rotorvator for next year. Discing doesn't get it fine enough and push rotorvating 1/4 acre takes ages.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 12:45:18 pm »
Do you have chickens?  How about keeping some and feeding the excess veg to them?  And they can be moved onto a spare plot and manure/weed it for you :thumbsup:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 02:38:48 pm »
Do you have chickens?  How about keeping some and feeding the excess veg to them?  And they can be moved onto a spare plot and manure/weed it for you :thumbsup:

You haven't me my OH! yes, we have chickens but to even dare suggest they get confined to a veggie patch... They have 3 acres of gardensm shrubs and woodland to wander in and spend most of the time by the kitchen door (or in the house) pestering for extra treats.. and being indulged. That and messing all over my barn, paths etc. they're all rescues.. some with only one functional leg and some well beyond any laying.

They have been eating the ends on the sweetcorn when prepping for freezer and courgettes, lettcuce etc. I actually have a stand of sunflowers growing for them - a mere hundred as well as pumpkins.... Anything to reduce the rediculous amount of money OH spends on buyng seeds and mealworms to feed hens and the assorted wildlife..which naturally has a moved in and bred up. First thing in the morning you trip over pheasants queuing for their rations too.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 03:53:37 pm »
What about a couple of pigs then? They would rotavate for you and eat the excess veg.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 06:23:10 pm »
What about a couple of pigs then? They would rotavate for you and eat the excess veg.

OH quiet happy to have pigs..on the understanding they have warm winter quarters, ventilated shady summer arks and live with us until they die of old age......

My lady has a heater in the hen house for frosty nights and has already made provision for our small flock of pet sheep in the event of them outliving us. The cutest pet lamb would have been a house-sheep if dalmatian hadn't kept trying to eat it.....

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 09:36:07 pm »
I plant EVERYTHING through weed suppressing fabric now. No weeding to speak of.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 11:32:28 pm »

It's a great idea suziequeue, and it's what I did for a few years, and still try it every year.  My problem is my dogs, terriers whose only aim in life is to dig, preferably getting to the little treats in a vole nest,  rip my weed fabric to shreds, so the weeds grow, and they tunnel under it and kill off the plants  :rant: I hold it all down with stobs ad so on, with pinned canes lying along the edges, but they shove the stobs aside as if they were twigs, and rip any pinned down bits.   I know I need to keep them out of the veggie patch but they would just howl, and we don't have time to enclose the whole thing in such a way they can't climb over or dig underneath.

Having seen Colin (lint mill) 's amazingly neat and tidy, weed free veg garden, I hardly dare let anyone see mine.  :garden:  I don't know how he does it - perhaps being young and fit helps  ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 11:48:56 pm »
I tried plastic on a bed that was always sprouting grass. The grass just grew under the plastic and pushed it up so light got in and even more grew.  :rant:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS