Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Use pigs as a rotavator?  (Read 4440 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Use pigs as a rotavator?
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:51:59 am »
I heard that pigs are good at digging up gardens.  If you had a blank canvas of land, could you buy a weaner or two put them in a section and let them dig up the land for you.  When they have done that plot, move them to another one and so on.  Would that work?   :cat: :chook:

HappyHippy

Re: Use pigs as a rotavator?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:01:59 am »
Yes, that would definately work !
You'd have to check the ground for bits of rubbish - plastic, metal etc cause they will eat just about everything ;) and you don't want them to get injured
After they've been in and done the clearing (and fertilising) you can level it out a bit, maybe leave it for 6 months if you're growing root veggies. Then get planting your veggies to go with your lovely home grown pork  ;D
Always buy 2 weaners - one on it's own will get lonely :'(

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 11:25:12 am »
If you are going to leave it for a bit before planting cover the plot with black plastic to keep down any weed regrowth. Weight it down with old car tyres.

Also if using weaners to dig up ground, don't give them too much space at a time. Get a patch done really thoroughly before you move them on.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:01:36 pm »
I have a boar with 2 visiting sows (lucky chap) in our paddock at the moment rotavating it for us, we plan to roll and reseed it in the spring, as an extra paddock for the sheep ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:25:21 pm »
Go for tamworth weaners, dont expect miracles at first, by the time they are around 4 months old though.... best little jcp s ever

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 12:48:57 pm »
if the plot is going to be left for 6 months or so before using as a veggie plot , I wouldn't cover it with plastic at all. I know that is the modern way of weed control , cover mulch etc ...but the top soil has only so many seeds in it . This may number thousands or even millions but , it is a finite number. If the ground is to be left fallow to mature a bit then why not let those seeds germinate and sprout .
 Once a week, rake or harrow them in or off , and after a couple of months there will be no weed seeds left to sprout !!! This works for the soil that you rake / harrow , any that is left un turned will still have viable seed in , but there is no reason why you can't turn the soil over after the flush of weed seeds sprouting falls to more or less nothing !!.
 This makes life so much easier when you start to grow your veg. Virtually no weeds at all . The only ones that will appear will come in from garden compost that wasn't 100% properly made , birds doing their thing and spreading seed , and wind blown seed.
 I am not having a go at those that do cover their ground with mulch or plastic , just saying I don't do it that way ... there is no need. The thing to remember is don't let the weeds get older than a week or so ... they have got hold then , and become harder to get shot of . Just by raking or harrowing regularly , you expose baby weed roots to the sun and wind, and they die within minutes.
Once they are all shriveled and dead they become more food for the worms and soil, and hence your veg when you start to grow it . Another way of looking at it is, work with nature , not against it !!

cheers

Russ

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 10:06:55 pm »
Absolutely!!!
Thats one of the reasons we got our pigs as well as the freezer  :yum:
Our old spot weaners were megger rooters and when we got a sow, she cleared a patch about roughly 12 sq metres over night!!!  :o

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Life is what you make it, so make it worth living.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 08:09:53 am »
Ive got 2.5 acres of land , and im doing this with my 6 kune kune pigs at the moment, its taken them just one week to do the patch they are in, so this weekend were building a second area for them to dig up, they are having sooooo much fun in there,
good luck
An immaculate house is a sign of a dull life

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 09:24:46 am »
with my 6 kune kune pigs at the moment, its taken them just one week to do the patch they are in,

and my friend swears they dont dig at all merely graze!!!! :pig:

Pigginshelly

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Pinwall Atherstone
    • RED LION PINWALL
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 09:51:25 am »
Someone forgot to tell my Kune Kune pigs that they don't dig but just graze. You would swear they are trying to get back to New Zealand!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 12:24:11 pm »
Haha, mine too! Theres not a blade of grass left, it has to be 'delivered!'
I'm hoping they'll find some archeological treasures and make our fortune...
Little Blue

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 01:13:15 pm »
My three Berkshires are making a damn fine job of ploughing up two acres and having a whale of a time in the process!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 02:10:08 pm »
and will taste all the better for the variety of food they consume whilst doing so. :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS