Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Arthritis  (Read 1535 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
Arthritis
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:00:20 am »
Anny my 5 year old female boer has been showing signs of being pottery on her front legs when she is walking.  She goes out with the others but I see her lying down alot even when the others have disappeared from sight.  Her front legs are very clicky when you pick them up but there isn't any heat.  I have over the last few weeks sprayed, trimmed but no result so the vet came out and diagnosed arthritis, probably not helped by her poor hoof conformation.  He has given a metacam injection with two more to give her.  She doesn't really seemed much better yet but only Monday when he came out.  Is there anything else which can be given or is this the downward slope?  I know in a commercial herd that she wouldn't be given a chance but as with all of my animals I don't do this unless the animal is in a lot of pain.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Arthritis
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:58:54 am »
Is your herd clear of CAE?

Five years is quite young to become arthritic? Are you sure she is not low on Calcium - is she feeding (or has she been feeding) a couple of kids this year? Milk fever (hypocalcaemia) can set in quite late in the lactation, and being slow on their feet is one of the signs - what's her appetite like?

Feeding her willow branches may be helpful - willow contains a natural from of aspirin, so worth a try.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 01:17:42 pm »
Turmeric is supposed to be good for arthritis in humans so it may be worth checking if it is okay to feed to goats
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 08:46:18 am »
Apple cider vinegar ( with mother) x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS