doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Bees?
« on: November 12, 2009, 11:19:59 pm »
Just found this on the SAC website - thought you all might find it interesting.  I'm thinking of getting bees - have a half day course lined up with a  friend after New Year.

http://www.soilassociation.org/Takeaction/Savethehoneybee/tabid/434/Default.aspx :bee: :bee: :bee:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Bees?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:58:56 pm »
I also want to get started with bees, but it's not easy getting some.

I attended (with my daughter) a bee keeping course at Auchencruive College near Ayr, Summer 2008.  I built a "bee garden" and got a couple of National hives, then came to an arrangement with a local beekeeper to buy a couple of nucs (bee starter colonies).

Unfortunately in Spring my local beekeeper found that out of six hives, only one was viable after the Winter, so he spent all Summer building up his own colonies.  Hopefully he'll be able to spare a couple of nucs next April.  He's not a beginner - he's an official on the Scottish Beekeeping Society, so was all the more surprised & upset to lose most of his bees without any obvious cause.

We need to do all we can to help bees & try and stop the decline in numbers.  I had thought it would be safer & more reliable to obtain local Scottish bees rather than imported mail order bees.

John

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:47:14 pm »
Are you doing your bee keeping course in Scotland? We're really keen to do one too? 
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:34:30 pm »
Hi Kirsty
My daughter and son-in-law won a silent auction at the church fete - its for a trip driving a landrover up the hill off road and a bee keeping lesson once we get there.  They are giving it to me as part of my Christmas.  But the chap has lost some of his bees too so won't be doing it till March.  He's going to come to my house to assess the best place for a hive.  I think Oatridge College might do course though.  They have a website.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 11:03:44 am »
I would like bees too but think my garden is too close to a public road/houses, oh i could put them at the front garden and they might like next door's booze when they have parties in the spring/summer ,lol

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 01:14:25 pm »
You can help with mine, Linz and share the produce!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 01:44:57 pm »
I like that idea

:)
Linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 02:26:30 pm »
Have a lok on the Scottish / British Beekeepers Association website. Ours runs beginners courses in January, ready to start with bees in the summer.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 03:55:00 pm »
Great thanks both. Look forward hearing about your lovely day in March Annie. :)
kirsty

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 01:22:52 pm »
Try this site

www.biobees.com

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 06:42:37 pm »
Whatever anyone does or says, you must be true to yourself; not for any man’s sake, but for your own nature’s sake; as if either gold, or the emerald, or purple, should ever be saying to themselves, whatever anyone does or says, I must still be an emerald, and I must keep my colour.
Marcus Aurelius

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS