Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick Hen  (Read 1773 times)

ella01

• Joined Jul 2013
Sick Hen
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:47:14 pm »
Please help,
Hen bought as POL June 20th.(one of three- other two are well.)
Brown Lohman.
Laid her first egg on Friday... none since. On Saturday and Sunday she's just lounged about and dozed.. Drinking but not eating. Yesterday I gave her tiny amount of olive oil.
She is no better today but she is  also gaping..
What is it? Gape worm? Eggbound? or what.
Internet advice suggests putting her in bath of warm water. Vet not an option.
Are there medicinal herbs that would help her.

I kept poultry years ago and never had one like this.
Granddaughter's favourite so we need help please.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Sick Hen
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 01:28:42 pm »
I wouldn't worry about her not laying every day. They often don't to begin with.

Are you sure she is not eating? The best way to find out is to isolate her, preferably in a way that means she can still see her friends. Offer her a small amount of her favourite food such as corn or porridge oats to assess her appetite.

I'm afraid that I don't know of any herbal remedies for gape worm but cider vinegar in drinking water is meant to prevent worms generally. (10mls cider in 1 litre of water)

ella01

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 03:53:08 pm »
Thank you Possum,
She seems much better today thank you. Whether the olive oil worked I don't know but after three days of not eating but drinking copiously she is now alert and enjoying dandelion leaves so on the mend.( They also like cabbage and comfrey leaves. )
We put more grit in run in case it was a shortage of that. She is bullied by the other two and prefers being in the garden. Yes I put cider vinegar with garlic in the drinking water.
I have two pekin bantams one about ten weeks and the other eight in a separate run. Could I put the bullied hen in with them as she hangs around their pen a lot.?
I kept Welsummer bantams many years ago but they were not penned in and I seemed to have few if any problems with them. Also had Rhode Island reds which lived to a ripe old age so am not a beginner - but this time I was baffled.
Thanks for your help.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:18:04 am »
I don't think it matters how long you have been keeping chickens. Every so often one of them will think of something to baffle you. ::)

I wouldn't put her in with the bantams just yet, in case her problem is infectious. Leave her where she is for another week and then see if she is happier with the bantams. Hope all goes well.

ella01

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 04:45:43 pm »
Thanks Possum.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS