Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old sheep weigh crate - repairable?  (Read 2235 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Old sheep weigh crate - repairable?
« on: August 03, 2014, 05:51:41 pm »
We bought an old sheep weigh crate off eBay (much like the one in the photo) but have discovered that it's wildly inaccurate. I tried to calibrate it this morning (using some dumb-bell weights) and it was all over the place.

Are these things repairable? What's the most likely fault?

How would I go about repairing one or is it better to just get a new one??

Anybody have experience of these contraptions?.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Old sheep weigh crate - repairable?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:49:53 pm »
 You could try looking inside the scales for any thing obvious  , my salter scales the plastic is held with clips then the needle has a nut and then the face two small screws  then you are in to the springs , has it got a working adjuster screw mine got lost so I put a bolt in

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 12:17:47 pm »
Is it always off by the same amount?  One of ours is  but you can you test it with known quantities eg a feed bucket, and adjust your figures accordingly.  It does give us an idea of how the weights compare between animals and is still useful bit of kit.  And we find the sheep have to stand fairly still to let the crate springs settle down.
I am sure you can buy new scales but they are expensive.

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:59:02 am »
Hi

I would get a hose or steam cleaner and go over the moving bits as your inconsistent weight may be a lump of mud or muck in the mechanism. A good clean may be all it needs.

SV

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS