Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fat Ewe udder  (Read 3084 times)

harpchr

• Joined Dec 2011
Fat Ewe udder
« on: August 03, 2014, 05:43:29 pm »
Afternoon,
I have a ewe that didnt have a lamb last year but shes got the shape im after so held onto her to try again this year.
Over the last few days she has one side bagging up with milk, so after talking with friends they say this happens if over fat.
I just got hold of her and the wee bag is hard, i milked some lumpy cheesr out then followed bit of blood. Surley thid ewe doesnt have mistites?
Should i just put her on a bare field and thin her down? Should i stay away from milking her?

Any help on what to do is appreciated

chris

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Fat Ewe udder
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »
 Sounds like SUMMER MASTITIS  common in cattle , not heard of it In sheep but most barren ewes will go for killing . speak to vet

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:40:29 pm »
Mastitis ---can be a killer if you don't treat asap

AB injection and inter-mammary tube

She probably won't be any good for breeding either with only 1 side milking next year

harpchr

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:42:41 am »
Thanks for the replies.
ive milked it off again last night and injected with La AB so will monitor how she goes over the next week or so.
Ive had a very bad year for mistites 14 breeding ewes and now thats 4 cases... such a distroying desease..

thanks again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS