Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: best small sheep for small children  (Read 10431 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Re: best small sheep for small children
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 11:25:41 pm »
Get Zwartbles, I know that they are not small but they turn into real pets and mine come over for a cuddle every time that I'm in the field and usually respond individually to their own names. Sometimes when I sit down just watch them graze they come and sprawl out beside me. That are all round just relaxed, calm, docile and naturally friendly sheep. If you want I could post some pictures. Hope this helps.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 08:01:26 am »
Get Zwartbles, I know that they are not small but they turn into real pets and mine come over for a cuddle every time that I'm in the field and usually respond individually to their own names. Sometimes when I sit down just watch them graze they come and sprawl out beside me. That are all round just relaxed, calm, docile and naturally friendly sheep. If you want I could post some pictures. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I have had Zwartbles in the past and really liked them, but they just did not thrive on our fairly extreme hill farm - they took such a lot of feeding they cost me a fortune, and I had deliberately picked ones from harder going. I sold the whole flock to a seven year old girl, who was delighted with them (she's probably 10 or 11 now) Lovely sheep though, I have a few Zwartbles X Cheviot ewes and they are grand sheep.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 08:12:32 am »
Well done, Katy's son!  I do really like the look of the coloured Ryelands, but I think Shetlands are probably the best suited to our situation. Also hopefully OH will protest less as they'll take less grass per ewe.  I am going to ring the society secretary to find out a bit more, but think they are probably what I want to go ahead with.  Am I likely to find more selection/quality at Lanark or Carlisle, or are they pretty much equal?  I would like to buy at a sale so I've got more of a selection to look at, and also want to see all the lovely and completely mind boggling colours.  So do I let Angus choose the colours he likes, or do I go by myself and choose what I think are the nicest sheep irrespective of colour?  I know the genetics are a minefield that take years and years of experience to understand, but I would like to avoid white (and white lambs in future) if possible as we have plenty white sheep already and I'd like these to be different.

Thank you for all the help.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 08:31:44 am »
I got 4 lovely wethers from Bigchicken all were different colours and pretty tame, not sure what he will have this year.
Anne

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 09:30:05 am »
I'd recommend buying off farm - that way you can see the rest of the flock - how healthy they look, what the grazing's like, how tame they are.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 09:58:58 am »
When I got my shetlands I went for all different colours, I like the mix in the field and when they lamb it's easier to see who is who, I did get one white one but she is the odd one out - funny for a white sheep!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 11:01:00 am »
Re Lanark or Carlisle, I am going to Lanark and if I don't see there what I want I will go to Carlisle... And if there is nothing that suits you (and your budget - some prices seem to be silly at the sales, given that a Shetland rarely recoups its value, unless used for cross-breeding or you get into showing and are then able o sell at a premium) - there are always some for sale off farm near enough to the Borders. So I wouldn't hurry into it until after the sales really.

One thing to look out for - some people now exclusively breed for extra fine fleece, with the overall conformation, and size in particular suffering - if you want to cross-breed to a terminal sire you will need some body. The white fleeces btw make good enough money if included in your clip and the coloured ones should go privately.

Actually the genetics don't seem to be that mind-boggling, I have read a few articles now and think I understand the basics. There was one in a recent Shetland Sheep Society journal, I could photocopy it for you.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 12:29:32 pm »
I think your son will be happy with Shetlands - we have young children visiting  to see ours.  We have a couple of flighty ones but mainly they become very tame - only takes a bit of feeding ;D .  I wish you were nearer here and you could take your pick from my assorted lovelies, sadly most are destined for the freezer.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 12:49:16 pm »
Thank you, everyone, this is all very helpful.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 01:35:47 pm »

Actually the genetics don't seem to be that mind-boggling, I have read a few articles now and think I understand the basics. There was one in a recent Shetland Sheep Society journal, I could photocopy it for you.

That would be lovely, thank you!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 03:32:56 pm »
Hi, I'm having to sell my Shetland flock, all sorts of colours. See ad in Marketplace:
Shetland sheep flock for sale

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 04:30:32 pm »
Hi, I'm having to sell my Shetland flock, all sorts of colours. See ad in Marketplace:
Shetland sheep flock for sale

Have sent you a message!

edandfred

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kelso Scottish Borders
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 09:13:05 pm »
Mowhaugh, sounds like you've made a decision (?) to go with Shetlands - good choice even though I am a newbie, but I think they are my sheep of choice!! It's been very interesting to read of everyone's recommendations , as there is such a lot of knowledge & experience on this forum!

I really feel for Jaykay selling her flock, so sorry Jaykay, it must be so upsetting and such a hard decision for you, but if you could give them away to a good home that would be wonderful !  I would love to get started with Shetlands and approach Jay kay myself ,as I now have my CPH number (yippee  :excited:) but need to get my fencing sorted out first - this is according to my OH but he is out of the country , so by the time he comes back in October it may be a done deal (tee hee!) and I have my first flock !!  ;D

I may still go down to the Shetland Sheep Show & Sale in Lanark on 29 August - a good learning experience as long as I don't stick my hand up and start bidding!! ;)

I will still contact Denise Playfair, Secretary at Shetland Sheep ,  http://www.shetland-sheep.org.uk/
who lives at Stichill !  Mowhaugh, we could chum each other to go up there if you're up for it - I live at Linton so just along the valley from you!!

Best of luck in getting your wee one's first flock....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS