Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aylesbury ducks  (Read 2384 times)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
Aylesbury ducks
« on: August 02, 2014, 09:00:50 pm »
does anyone know how to recognise a true Aylesbury from other large white ducks, I know there are a lot sold as Aylesbury which aren't and as I am thinking of getting a couple would like to get it right1
Heather

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Aylesbury ducks
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:28:45 pm »
Bill colour is important - it needs to be a sort of peachy buff colour rather than orange. Also the size of the keel - even a utility Aylesbury has a big keel, the exhibition stock have huge keels. I can look for registered breeders near you if you want? I hatched one from hatching eggs that were sent up from Devon and she's a lovely bird but I always think she looks a little uncomfortable on land - wish I had a bit more water for her. Bit later in the year for hatching eggs now though.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:18:37 am »
Thanks Hester, will probably wait until next year - more time to work on OH!! Info very helpful though.
Heather

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:44:47 am »
Hi,  I have 4 "Aylesbury" girls in Essex to be given away.  I picked them up at a rehoming but only really to prevent them going for the pot.  If you want them and can collect.

Piccie below

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:22:37 am »
HesterF is right madchickenlady - it's the bill colour that's the first give-away, more of a pinky-grey. There are a lot of people out there who think they have Aylesburys and it's never fun having to point out that a yellow/orange beak means it's not what they think. When they are full grown they should have a very well developed keel, other breeds/crosses have a more upright walk too. We've hatched some this year and I have to say they are an absolute delight... though the latest thinks he/she is human as we are having to hand rear!! ('Fun' pic attached, all being well!)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:03:32 pm »
Love the pic Somewhere_by_the_river.  :thumbsup:

Have PM'd you Kitchen Garden
Heather

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS