Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats are happy today  (Read 6348 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Goats are happy today
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:09:59 pm »
Been to the wholesalers to buy bananas for the goats and they where at a great price for us.
18kg boxes of organic Bananas at £3 a box  :o so we came home with 5 boxes for them
why are Bananas so expensive in the shops when you can buy them at that price ?
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Goats are happy today
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:51:24 pm »
That's a good buy.

My goats are happy today as well. Their hay delivery came this afternoon. We ran out on Tuesday.

I'm happy too. I was running out of stuff in the garden that I could cut down for them. All I need now is for the feed people to get a delivery in so I can pick up concentrates.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:57:23 am »
That's cheap!  Keep feeding them bananas and you could have a good outlet  goat banana milkshake  :yum:

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:12:53 am »
Gosh that is a great price! We haven't got a wholesaler around here I have to get mine from Aldi at 68p a kilo and water melons are good price at the minute so they get that too, apples and pears from farmfoods although orchard fruit will soon be ready to pick, so that will save a bit, then the cabbages goat mix etc. Thinking about it our girls eat better than we do!! Lol - but they are happy.  I would think they add a lot on the price to pay for the transport,storage, wages etc of all the middle men down the line, we buy cabbages from a small farmer between £2 - £6 for a box/net depending on weight and sort of cabbage, if I had to buy that from supermarkets it would cost me much more.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:22 am »
A great price for you but not much for the growers is it, presuming somes been added for the shipping.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:10:21 am »
They are always between £3.50 and £5 a box for single bananas but yesterday they where organic bunches.
We also got a full box of pink lady apples (48 apples) for £4
Graham

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:30 am »
A great price for you but not much for the growers is it, presuming somes been added for the shipping.

Indeed, but in Sokel's defence, if he'd bought them from the Supermarket, the growers would still have been paid the same. It's not enough of course, but seeing the wholesale price like that does make it obvious just how little of the money we spend goes to the folks who do most of the work!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 03:57:57 pm »
Good point, Womble.

I still wish I had a wholesaler's like that round here. Or knew a farm where I could buy cabbages at £2 - £6 a box.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 06:03:25 pm »
I have never tried feeding bananas to my goats.  I never realised they would like those.   What other old veg do they eat?  My goats are very fussy though!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 06:36:15 pm »
Everything we buy is human grade fruit and veg from a fruit and veg wholesalers
the list is endless for the fruit and veg that our lot eat
Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 06:40:39 pm »
I have never tried feeding bananas to my goats.  I never realised they would like those.   What other old veg do they eat?  My goats are very fussy though!!

Trial and error - just offer them and see. Obviously no onions and the like, also no citrus fruits.

Mine like.: apples, pears, bananas (incl peel), any sort of cabbage, bean stalks (fresh), carrots, courgettes  :thumbsup:, kohlrabi etc etc.

I cut my carrots (pony carrots for 2 quid per large bag!) into sticks, apples etc into thin slices.

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 09:50:50 pm »
When we started out we were told to cut carrots/parsnips etc into sticks, but off the menu at the minute as they just don't last this time of year so waste of money. Ours also £2 for a net

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 10:57:11 pm »
Peaches and other stone fruit go down well. They will also just eat the banana skins. Most of our friends now know to save all the banana skins for our goats. And mine love chopped swede.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 12:54:19 am »
Those bananas were cheap!!  Some of my goats like the skins better than the banana itself.  I go to the horse sale on a Saturday sometimes, as carrots are £1 a net, so I get 5, to do the goats and the pigs.  Also in the village we have a cheap greengrocers.  Have all sorts of veg and fruit on offer.  Quite often cabbages are 10p each, and we get a big box - which pleases the shop owner!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 01:23:10 am »
I'm clearly in the wrong place. My local shop does give me old and damaged fruit and veg but not very often.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS