Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting to think that my mf35 isn't good enough  (Read 2245 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Starting to think that my mf35 isn't good enough
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:09:36 pm »
Im starting to think that my mf35 isn't up to it. Am I wrong? I've baled and sold large bale silage this year and am buying hay with the money!! There is no one handy to me to make hay- and even if there was getting them to come to do my small amount would surely mean I was last on the list. Even at that it was a begging session to get the bales moved to the bottom of the field as the 35 wouldn't lift them.
I was looking at balers- thought a small round one would be ideal but from reviews they are very slow, bales are round and so take up more room than small square ones---blah blah blah. So I was looking at small square ones- are you buying trouble going for an old one- the ones a 35 might have used in the good ol days. Newer ones Im quessing  need more hp to push them. If I had a bigger tractor would that solve my problems- I could look a newer small square baler and do the whole bloody thing myself.
Opinions please.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Starting to think that my mf35 isn't good enough
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 08:55:28 pm »
 Only you can decide is the 35 up to doing all the other jobs you need a tractor to do ??   lots of of small balers on ebay all ages/prices , have you  also got a haybob / wuffler or similar  , a bale sledge is also usefull to accumulate the bales and some kind of trailer or 16 bale transporter to get the hay in

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS