Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Workers or not?  (Read 5425 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Workers or not?
« on: November 11, 2009, 07:15:30 pm »
About 6months ago we  re-homed a 18month old castrated rottweiler (Buddy).
We have a large variety of working dogs that go out each season beating and with dad deer stalking.

This question may seem a little silly but would Buddy make a suitable, reliable gun dog for pheasants or am i best not working with him?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Workers or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:53:11 pm »
Cameron, unless he is showing signs of natural working ability you are probably to late to train him.  What do you want/need him to do?  Will he be needed to retrieve as a Labrador for instance - if he play retrieves now then yes, you can encourage that and train him up but it takes quite a while.  Will he be needed to flush like spaniels?  If he already hunts around for things then yes, you can encourage that too.  That shouldn't take so long as it is natural for a dog to hunt. Presumably there will be no need for him to point and since that is an instinctive response to the scent of game you wouldn't be able to train him to do that anyway.

However, if you are to take him anywhere near guns you need to introduce him to gunshot slowly, unless he is already happy with it close at hand.  In addition you need to ensure he is very obedient - from a safety aspect.  He MUST stop and recall on command.
Hope that helps but let me know if I can help you further.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 08:23:21 pm »
He goes training with our 2 cocker's and 3 labs and dads pointer and is pretty much bullet proof,

good with sound and does retrieve, but i tend to be a beater not on the pegs,
he is reasonably well controlled stop,sit,down,heel etc getting there with come,
but he has an extremly nasty habit of ragging anything with feathers (Including my mum's cushions!!), finding it very hard to stop the habit as now my hens are in danger!

i don't think i'll make it this year but maybe next or the very end of the season

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:30:42 pm »
here is a pic

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:00:15 pm »
He's very handsome, sounds like you're working hard with  him
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:12:55 pm »
He looks really cute - quiet a twinkle in those eyes!

Right, the ragging needs to stop.  If he starts doing it try to distract him - show him a high value treat, or start trying clicker training.  You can read up about it on the 'net. You tube is good for gundog training.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 11:39:58 pm »
Hi Cameron,

Its great to see and hear of dogs doing a different job to their intended one!  I used to beat on a shoot that a Boxer and two Border Collies worked.  From my own experience a big thing is where will you take the dog.  Some shoots as you know will pay their beaters for coming along but some don't - those that don't might be the ones to seek out.  If its a local friendly shoot they may be happy to let you bring him along to try out and see.  As long as you are confident his recall is sound enough then it may be worth a try as he will learn a lot from his kennel mates by watching them in action.  If the shoot does formal/let days then maybe not.  I am lucky in my area as there is a non paying shoot that is always short of dogs so is great to break in a youngster or novice (both dog and human).  The ragging thing is a worry but if you can keep him in for a few drives till he gets the idea from watching the others then start to let him out a bit he may come on OK.  Either that or the other beaters will be crapping themselves as 10 stone of muscle in a Hannibal Lectre mask bursts through the undergrowth at them.

The only person that can tell you whether he can make the grade is you as ultimately you need to be happy and confident in him.

Best of luck and let us all know how you both get on please.

Stuart
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 04:17:16 pm »
I am lucky in my area as there is a non paying shoot that is always short of dogs so is great to break in a youngster or novice (both dog and human)

Where, where, where?  I need more places to go with Allez and my pup when he starts.  Al is still on a long line as I can't break him of chasing yet, so wouldn't be a pest.

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 05:00:18 pm »
I have sent a PM with the details mate.
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 07:00:20 pm »
He has started his basic training against the ragging, he was walked to heel right through the chickend without being able to attack them, this was them moved onto a dead Pheasant, which he was allowed to carry around and retrive, but as soon as he started to shake it was removed and he was scolded (not nastily, just enough to warn him), He is fine in every other aspect, and is going out tomorrow for the frist time with the Labs&sSpaniels as an observer, then slowly he will be let off lead.

Traning is going extremly well, better than i thought infact!

Thanks for the responses

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 08:55:10 pm »
He got a practice run
 out on sat at the local shoot, but we had to leave early so he only got about 2.5 hours on lead traing
and di  really quite well

sandy

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 08:23:24 pm »
I used to have a Rottie Cross called Bruce, he was a brilliant and obediant dog although they can get a bit overexcited a bit like boarder collies....it will be great if he turns out well, strong dog's,I never quite trused him with all dogs as he stood his ground.... Moregin! My son in law keeps asking me if there is somewhere around here he can go shooting, although not sure when he can come up!!! I would love to get my Labradors out on a shoot, I think Isaly would be great, Ben may not want to bring "anything back" anyway, great to watch working dogs!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 08:48:27 pm »
Sandy, if you want to get Islay and Ben on a shoot I can help you train them - they only have to retrieve, but it has to be to hand, and many retrieves are quite complicated.  You won't get on a shoot without some basic obedience training.  At the very least it is walk close to heel off or on lead for quite a distance.  But I went to a lab man for retrieve training so have a pretty fair idea what's required of a lab.  it's a wee bit different from what mine need to do.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 09:07:38 pm »
Just an update, things are going well with buddys training, he was out again today, still on the lead though,
We has a minor setback mid week as he broke out of the pen and terrorised the hens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS