Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oh no! My Soay's have escaped!  (Read 25212 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Oh no! My Soay's have escaped!
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2014, 02:06:46 pm »
so what happens with the police and animal health etc do you get a rollocking for them going awol or are they sympathetic?
just curious - (and im touching wood it doesnt happen to us)

If you are lucky enough that they haven't caused any damage (in the case of tup for example having fathered a whole bunch of lambs that the resident farmer didn't really want to have...) I would just put them into isolation (shed with high/vertical hurdles sounds about right) for a couple of weeks, worm/treat for lice maybe - and see how they are at the end.

If they were mine I have to say - abattoir straight after isolation period and into the freezer. I wouldn't try and sell them on - chances are they would do a runner in the mart anyway and then you would be really popular!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2014, 03:12:14 pm »

I wouldn't be too quick to bump them off.  Keep them in for their full quarantine and tame them up during that time.  Handle them every day, maybe halter train them, and hand feed them treats.  Do you have an internal paddock?  ie one with no hedges at the edge of your property?  Keep them in there as long as you can, until they really know where home is and where life is best.
We rescued a wandering ewe years ago, one her owners simply couldn't keep in ever.  Once she came to us she never wandered again - we still have her as an 'ancient' and she loves it here.
One thought - do you have other sheep?  If not, could she simply have set off looking for a flock?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2014, 04:52:52 pm »
Have you managed to catch them?

Wasn't the thought that the gate had possibly been left open? ........ not really their fault then ..... surely?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2014, 05:10:24 pm »
How did I miss this topic ? ???

How exciting that they've been found, little devils  :thumbsup:

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 07:53:40 pm »
Hi folks,

Yes, the gate had been left open.  That was maybe six weeks ago.  At the time they were well pampered pets and we were absolutely distraught with their absence. 

Since their disappearance they have travelled maybe 8 miles and have become quite flighty, however, since Monday they have chosen to remain in a large field with other sheep with twice daily treats from myself.  The new issue is how to catch them!  The field belongs to an older lady who has been very patient with our shenanigans so far.  The other sheep are owned by someone else who has not yet noticed my regular attendance!  I have a neighbour (this is our first interaction as neighbours) who has offered to bring a horse box to the field on Sunday ONCE I've managed to tether the sheep.  Lots of kind-heartedness so far.  But although the sheep were initially overjoyed to see me and ate from my hand, they now suspect that something is up!

Essentially, I have until Sunday to tether these bloomin' sheep, when I can't seem to get them close enough to grab!  I'll need to source some hurdles from somewhere, and hope the  old lady doesn't get impatient...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2014, 09:22:44 pm »
id be putting up the hurdles now and feeding them tiny feeds inside the enclosure very regularly before sunday. if you cant get them in the hurdles, try feeding them in a trough close to the hurdles and move the trough closer and closer each time.
not easy if there is plenty of grass around.
 :fc:

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2014, 10:42:07 pm »
Yes, I agree with the hurdles - currently trying to beg, borrow or steal some.  Thankfully the sheep are fond of oaty muesli, so my plans include luring them towards the corner of the field...

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2014, 11:24:19 pm »
Don't you think maybe you should contact the person whose flock of sheep you are going to daily and in whose rented field you intend to lasso two Soays? Not only is it curtesy but also they might help. I.e If it was me, i'd get the whole flock in tight and truss up your two for transport. . . . . failing that i'd let the dog help lol.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2014, 07:31:37 am »
I would try the hurdles before the dog option.

When one of our lambs (a well grown one) got into our neighbours field and was impossible for us to catch, our neighbour brought his well trained old collie to help. Idea was to bring whole flock into the barn aided by old Rob and then pick out lambie. Lamb didn't move with the flock at all and ended up chasing the collie! Collie was bemused but did eventually get lamb moving ...... across the brook, up a steep hill, over the fence and into woodland!

Your sheep maybe different if they have been there for a while and feel part of the flock but Soay aren't supposed to work well with a dog and our only experience seemed to indicate that they didn't.

None of us could find where the lamb had escaped and another one made their way through on another occasion. This time we set up a hurdle pen. Took lambs mum into the field and tied her in the pen with food. She called lamb in and that was that.

Have you got more sheep? Could something similar work?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2014, 07:49:20 am »
If they are suspicious of the pen I would make it big at first ( I'm sure a kindly neighbour would lend you some hurdles) then when they are used to that make it a bit smaller. Or make a race with flexinet or similar leading into the pen. Wish I could come and help but too far away :( Good luck.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2014, 11:54:15 am »

Sheep read body language to the tiniest degree, that of other animals and of humans.  As prey animals, their lives can depend on it.  They will pick up on the fact that you intend to catch them, simply by the slight tensing of your body before you grab.  They will detect the purposefulness of how you go into the field, and it is extremely difficult to fake genuine nonchalance well enough to fool a sheep.

I would go for the option of speaking with the flock owner, who may have a round up planned anyway, but you can't just go in amongst his flock and do what you want with his animals.  If anyone did that with my sheep I'd be livid  ::)   There is no real urgency with bringing the Soays home, so you can fit in with his plans.  I think you said there is just a ewe and a lamb, so you could sneak them home in the back of your car, if you have someone there to hold them.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2014, 11:59:36 am »

Sheep read body language to the tiniest degree, that of other animals and of humans.  As prey animals, their lives can depend on it.  They will pick up on the fact that you intend to catch them, simply by the slight tensing of your body before you grab.  They will detect the purposefulness of how you go into the field, and it is extremely difficult to fake genuine nonchalance well enough to fool a sheep.

Can't pull the wool over their eyes then?  ;D :innocent:
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2014, 01:21:13 pm »
you can't just go in amongst his flock and do what you want with his animals.  If anyone did that with my sheep I'd be livid  ::)   

Very much ditto
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:45 pm »
What Fleecewife says. Talk to the owner of the rest of the flock, find out when he/she's gathering them next, turn up and catch yours and stick them in the back of your car, so there's no panic about timing it with a horse box.

I carry goats and the occasional sheep like this, seat down, dog guard, or in my case, a piece of weldmesh tied in place with baler twine to the front seat headrests, tarpaulin over the folded down seats, and then some blankets to absorb any accidents. Remove tarpaulin, blankets into washing machine when journey over.

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2014, 08:49:19 pm »
Just to reassure you all I don't intend to do anything with the other sheep or interfere with them in any way!  My Soays come to the gate to meet me whenever I visit and I only go a couple of metres into the field.  The other sheep are oblivious to my presence!

I have now procured a couple of hurdles and will start with the training regime in the morning...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS