Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stray young Gosling- Advice please  (Read 2087 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Stray young Gosling- Advice please
« on: August 02, 2014, 08:33:08 pm »
Hi

I have been given a baby gosling. It was given to me by a freind as they found it, but after serching for ages there was no sign of an adult bird or any other goslings. They don't know if it had strayed or if it had been dumped as there were no other signs of any geese near by. I have currently got two adult geese, a male Toulose and a female Embdon. Im worried as to it being able to intergrate with them when it gets older.

I dont know what type of goose it is, or how old it may be, i have attached some pictures if anyone has any ideas. I dont know if it was a wild goose or a domesticated. Im currently feeding it chicken crumb mash. Does anyone know any bird sancturaies or charities which could help. I don't know what is best really. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Emily

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Stray young Gosling- Advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 08:43:31 pm »
Cant answer your questions, but make sure the chick crumb hasn't got ACS in.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:34:13 pm »
I wonder if it is a pilgrim, as they are auto sexing at birth and the light bill and colour in this breed would denote a male, which could be why it is abandoned. Just a guess mind you, I don't know much about geese and am sure there are far more knowledgeable people on the forum. Where abouts are you, re rehoming?
Heather

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:22:49 pm »
He/she certainly looks like he'll be white but that doesn't really help narrow it down much although probably domestic. They can integrate OK with older geese eventually - I've got my three older geese and nine hatched this year all in together - but better if it's a she, a he would be fine outside breeding season but then could fight next spring. The oddest thing is that it still looks quite young so probably less than two weeks old but most geese stop laying by early June so its from good egg laying stock! If you've got the space to keep it safe until its a bit bigger, hang on to it. Otherwise, where are you and I'll see whether there's a British Waterfowl Association member with domestic geese near you.

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 11:04:30 pm »
Hi, thanks  for all your replies,  im in Gloucester. Im hoping that it is female. Although I dont know how to sex geese.

Thank you

Emily

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 11:08:15 pm »
You won't be able to sex until older. I have autosexing geese - mine are West of England - so like the Pilgrims, I can tell from hatch what they are but most geese you have to wait until they're mature, like most ducks too.  Do you want me to look up somebody close or are you going to try and raise it? Slimbridge must be quite close to you, aren't they? Not that they'd take a domestic goose but they might have local links to waterfowl breeders.

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 11:16:10 pm »
I was thinking of trying to raise it myself. But if you have details,  incase things dont pan out and my current geese take a serious dislike to it, that would be great. Im not far from Slimbridge. 

Thank you

Emily

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS