Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PSB - flowering NOW....  (Read 2598 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
PSB - flowering NOW....
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:32:29 pm »
What to do? My early PSB, transplanted 3rd May (is this too early?) is in full flower?

Can I cut it down and it will sprout again?

Anyone else got this this year?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: PSB - flowering NOW....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:45:52 pm »
No idea but read this and realised I haven't even seeded mine yet  :-[  - such awkward timing, just not used to seeding at that point. Nothing to lose by cutting it down and seeing whether it comes back although I've not had much luck with calabrese re-cropping (supposed to be able to cut cauliflower and get a second crop of smaller heads).

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 11:01:25 pm »
I think a lot of crops are coming much earlier this year due to the weather. I heard on the radio this morning that wild blackberries are in flower and producing fruit already. I have a patch at the end of the garden. I must go and check it.

I'd try cutting it back. You've got nothing to lose.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:16:00 pm »
I had my first wild blackberry about three weeks ago! I think it was a bit of a one-off but given strawberries were over in the garden before they'd even begun last year, things are clearly earlier.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 11:38:30 pm »
No idea but read this and realised I haven't even seeded mine yet  :-[  - such awkward timing, just not used to seeding at that point. Nothing to lose by cutting it down and seeing whether it comes back although I've not had much luck with calabrese re-cropping (supposed to be able to cut cauliflower and get a second crop of smaller heads).

I was blanching and freezing some calabrese tonight and that included some smaller secondary 'heads' from the leaf axils below previous cuts.

You can extend the PSB by vigorous cutting back.. but rather depends when you had planned to eat them as to whether you can keep them going that long.

I've got 3 sorts beans , kale, calabrese etc all in vast quantities and still rather eat the salad stuff (also in silly amounts).  Lots has been frozen and I've also pickled a load of french beans.

One day I'll learn not to plant as much.....

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:25:55 pm »
Well I transplanted the late PSB only a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully that will be ok. The kales are growing well too, as is the Savoy cabbage, so hopefully the goats and the humans will have something come winter...

Will cut the early PSB down, and see if it comes back.

Blackcurrants were 3 weeks earlier this year compared to last, we already are eating tomatoes, and the sweetcorn is great too atm!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 06:00:21 pm »
Interesting that your sweetcorn is ready ..mine is about 3 weeks away. First curly kale sowing has been being picked for 2-3 weeks.. just odd leaves off odd plants 'cos as usual I planted way too much. Even the second sowing plants are looking decent. 3rd sowing just germinating and will go in where peas and broad beans were when the dregs get pulled up and the ground prepared. (the pusles all get checked onto next years growing area for ploughing in later)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS