Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cesspit - Help!!!  (Read 14872 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Cesspit - Help!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 08:02:47 pm »
massive ships take huge amounts out into the north sea and pump it out there ....also there are 20,000 sewage pipes all around the UK pumping out neat crap for between 8 and 24 hours a day ....emergency overflow pipes they call them . But when checked , were found to be pumping out nearly all the time , and those that weren't were just pumping at night  !!! I wonder why ?
 Before automatic washing machines came about , septic tanks hardly ever needed emptying . Also many people now have a bath every day , or stand in the power shower forever !!! Huge amounts of water are now pumped into the tanks , they were never meant to cope with this much water .
 Divert all your waste water for a day and see how much goes down the pipe....you will then realize why they fill up so fast. That isn't a dig at anyone .. just a fact !!!

cheers

Russ

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 08:04:58 pm »
Yuck - and people swim in the sea  :o
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 08:15:36 pm »
yes I know ... yuk yuk puke puke .... I know in New Quay , Wales , there is an outfall pipe that is meant to go out some 500 yards . However, for 10 years that I know of it was broken less than 100 yards out . It is a huge 3 foot diameter pipe , that pumps neat crap out into the sea at high tide . Walk around the harbour and you can  very often see what goes down the pipe....suprising how intact a turd can remain !!! ::) ::) Then I look around and see all the holiday makers playing in the sea and swimming,all the little kids playing in crap ... yuk yuk yuk...
 Then they all go and buy their fish and chips ....where do the fish come from ... the north sea....puke puke ...

cheers

Russ

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 08:22:06 pm »
A word of warning when you go searching for your septic tank/cesspit.... TREAD VERY CAREFULLY!!. I once had the misfortune to find ours when we moved into a victorian house by judiciously falling through the wooden hatch coverluckily (or not) there was enough solids around that it slowed my descent enough to avoid injury or going head under.  There was also the fun!. of being hosed down as I stripped all the clothes off to go on the bonfire.
Ian

chickenfeed

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 08:30:30 pm »
 ;)having a cesspit for a number of years to counter balance my use of all normal household cleaners we always add any dead chickens to cause bacteria that the cleaners destroy and boy do the bacterial grow on chickens we have it emptied every couple of years with no problems

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 05:59:28 pm »
If you manage to find it and do get it fully cleaned out the dead rabbit/chicken etc is a good idea to sort the bacteria out.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Touchwood

• Joined Nov 2009
    • http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 12:02:59 pm »
Thanks everyone. Especially the tip about a dead rabbit or chicken, we never eat any of ours that "just die" so at least we can recycle them now.
Check out http://touchwoodcraft.webs.com/ for environmentally friendly crafts.

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 06:31:10 pm »
We used to get the road kills off the road, always lots of dead cats and badgers around here.
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 01:20:14 pm »
Only the cheapest lav. roll and cider vinegar (which can be bought cheaply in bulk) should go down any lavatory. Cider vinegar, if mixed with a few drops of thyme or lavender oil will kill germs as well as anything.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 01:37:47 pm »
I've never put a dead rabbit down the loo  I HAVE put them in the main draincover of the septic tank though.  Thanks for the tip about cider vinegar, Sylvia
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS