Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A little concerned now...  (Read 1648 times)

poppy

• Joined May 2009
A little concerned now...
« on: November 09, 2009, 10:46:03 pm »
Hello again!  ;)

My ducks seem to be losing weight. Having checked them this evening they are noticeably thinner, with their breast bone being very prominent and sharp. I have 3 khaki campbells, 22 weeks old, 2 have been laying for approx 4 weeks daily.

What are their poos supposed to be like? Some I came across are firm others are very liquid.  :-\ I've never really taken much notice of them but I'm a little conerned now. I may ring the vet and get some wormer anyway. The ducks are still active and fairly vocal, always foraging and they have a constant supply of layers pellets/grass and water.

Alternatively I suppose it could be the fact they are laying daily which is taking it's toll on them? Plus the change in weather? Should they have straw (as opposed to shavings) during the winter for extra warmth, or a combination of the two?

Could stagnant water be a problem? They seem to like the area where the dirty water drains away but its starting to get a bit smelly. Should I prevent them from going on this area? May they have caught something?

Lastly, one duck isn't laying yet is this normal at 22 wks?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: A little concerned now...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 10:29:50 am »
First of all worm them, with a good wormer like flubenvet, if they have food available then they're not hungry! are they eating the food? Some have fresh water available some dont, I dont mine just have the pond! They have a house with straw and dont use it, they should naturally be warm enough! dont worry too much about laying its a funny time of year and they can stop or not even start til the spring regardless of age.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS