Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My Geriatric Ducks Ducklings  (Read 1913 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
My Geriatric Ducks Ducklings
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:54:06 am »
My, elderly, Indian Runner Ducks hatched 3 ducklings out 10 days ago.  They were broody but I didn't expect anything because, frankly, they are mature.

I have left them to it and the ducklings are all still alive....

However, they are swimming, and certainly very "jumpy".

They don't seem massively bigger than last week and someone suggested they should have put on half a pound.

Basically they are getting chick crumb (which says its okay for ducklings) and fresh water and I am leaving Mums to it....

ella01

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: My Geriatric Ducks Ducklings
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 02:26:55 pm »
I would think the older the duck then the better mother it makes as is more experienced. Have heard that ducks can live to ten and even twenty years.Are the ducklings all the same size? If not maybe one is getting more  food than the others.
My ducks never lived long as one lot were taken by the fox and the others(Khaki Campbells) just flew from the stream to the river and were not seen again but I'm thinking of getting some more as have always loved ducks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 06:11:13 pm »
My IR/KC drake and ducks often go for a  wander upstream where the burn is deeper, but they are back every afternoon for their tea.  :thumbsup: Not getting any eggs just now, so I'm wondering if we have shed visitors overnight - might pop out in the dark with a flashlight if i feel brave enough  :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 08:03:45 pm »
My, elderly, Indian Runner Ducks hatched 3 ducklings out 10 days ago.  They were broody but I didn't expect anything because, frankly, they are mature.

I have left them to it and the ducklings are all still alive....

However, they are swimming, and certainly very "jumpy".

They don't seem massively bigger than last week and someone suggested they should have put on half a pound.

Basically they are getting chick crumb (which says its okay for ducklings) and fresh water and I am leaving Mums to it....

Congratulations!  :thumbsup: :&> :&> :&>
What is elderly to you, how old are your girls?
If you are concerned you can try some porridge, I found it great as a starter for ducklings and mums. In the first week the growth may not appear that much but imagine an egg...could they have doubled in size?

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 08:26:25 am »
 :'(  The fox/cat/heron got them at 10 days old :'(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 10:51:54 am »
OH, so sad to hear!
Sparrowhawk would be my first suspect, I've seen them in action, since then I've always locked new mums away under netting with a safe house for the night. Maybe your girls are not too old to try again...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS