Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fireworks  (Read 14785 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Fireworks
« on: November 03, 2007, 07:27:40 pm »
I sit here typing and listening to a barrage of fireworks. Fortunately, none of our animals are much bothered by this but I know we're just lucky. This barrage has been going on for well over a week. When I had Smokey out thsi afternoon, they were going off at 3pm. Is anyone as fed-up with this as I am?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Fireworks
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 07:47:47 pm »
just started here but i have been away for a week
so not sure if they have been around last week
Chums(my garden) used to get upset if i would let him out to watch them lol
In my parent house he liked to sit on the window ledge with the window wide open, Second storage floor aswell i used to have to hold on to him in fear of him falling/jumping out. I don't think he ever wanted to jump out.

Linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 07:59:49 pm »
I'm not really an old misery (all the time) and I wouldn't mind so much if it was one night, but it goes on forever!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 08:46:18 pm »
no your not, i personal think that they should be all publicly organised

Scooby

• Joined Oct 2007
  • In between worlds!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 10:15:14 pm »
It's unbelievable how much money folk in these parts have to burn!!!  >:(

Like you, we've had these 'explosions' going on all week... and my poor 'kids' (two border collies) are petrified to the point where they won't eat, and it's a mission to get them out to go the toilet  :(

I love seeing fireworks and huddling around the bonfire, but why can't we have organised displays once a year?  Instead of the local yobs using them all week to make as much nosie as possible.

[/RANT]  Sorry back to smilie mode now!   ;)
A hug is for life, NOT just for Christmas!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:46:18 am »
can be very annoying as i had a friend who has a great dane who was as big as sheltlan pony and he was petrified of fireworks his owners need to give him a sedation jag ever year when i came to this year.
Linz

jan

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 02:54:37 pm »
Know how you all feel, as a behaviourist with dogs this time of year is quite busy for me, having to help people help their dogs.  Poor ol things i really do feel for all animals.  Friend of mine lost three chickens to bangers going off around where she is, poor things just fell of their perches with heart attacks.!!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 09:46:44 pm »
We have been lucky since we live in a small commune and the French do not recognise November 5th at all. Our problems are Bastile night - they are very partial to bangers more than anything and our dogs hate it. The farm dog over the road actually left home and moved in with us last year. They had three days of fireworks and bangers and he was so scared that he slinked in under our table hoping not to be noticed. He eventually went home, and then that same evening returned again because of terrible thunder and lightening storms. That was it for him, he stayed here with his four buddies and never left us again. He is our little mongral now, the dirtiest smelliest little dog you will ever see, attracted to every bit of cow dung in France! He still goes back to the farm daily to see the family and help with milking, but always comes back home - lucky us!! It is strange to see him escourting his former mistress off of our property after she has been here for coffee. He walks her to the gate and then about turns and comes back in!
My problem now is that they have just got themselves another puppy, so I am dreading the next storm, or the next celebration incase we get another little visitor arrive under our table!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 07:52:32 am »
Oh Kate how I sympathise, we got a lot of cats that way.  Our problem is not fireworks but shotguns, from September to February its hunting, and every living thing for itself, Sundays can be a nightmare darent go down to the bottom of the holding to collect nuts in the trees because of shotguns.  Quite unnerving even after 5 years.

jan

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 01:00:16 pm »
Oooo er...I dont blame you for finding it unerving.  Poor ol things. Janx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS