Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broken plum tree  (Read 11682 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Broken plum tree
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:31:49 am »
My plum tree is so laden with fruit that it bowed right down so I propped the main branch up with wood to help support the weight. When we got back from holiday, I was dismayed to see that it has still broken. The break only goes about two thirds of the way through so, if I leave it alone, will the fruit still ripen? I know I will have to cut the branch off later.

I should have pruned the tree before it started to produce anything. It's only a young one and the main branch wasn't very thick. I also know that it's recommended to take some of the fruit off to stop this happening but it's too late now.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Broken plum tree
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:39:56 am »
Fruit may well riped. One of my plum trees here snapped on the main stem .. wasn't that loaded. I left it with the same hope of ripening but it's now come completely adrift.

Looks like I have to settle for just a few damsons from the other tree this year.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:39:39 am »
Mine broke last year and I left it for the plums to ripen, and they did.  I subsequently forgot to prune it back and this year there are plums on the branch.  This year,this year.....

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:54:47 am »
if you can get someone to lift the offending branch up to where it should be you can bandage the joint tightly with strips of cloth or equivalent and resupport the branch in that position it can heal fully, or at least prevent it breaking off to ensure proper ripening of the fruit.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 05:32:39 pm »
I hav e a broken branch that I propped with the intention of pruning this summer and it flowered and is fruiting so will just reduce the weight and prune lightly rather than remove the lot!

I guess it depends how much cambium is still undamaged.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:27:25 pm »
if you can get someone to lift the offending branch up to where it should be you can bandage the joint tightly with strips of cloth or equivalent and resupport the branch in that position it can heal fully, or at least prevent it breaking off to ensure proper ripening of the fruit.

I wish I could but it's about 15 foot high - or was.

Ellie, I just googled cambium but I'm not much wiser than I was before I read the results. It's still alive at the moment so I think I'm just going to wait and see.

And I WILL remember to prune it.  :fc: :fc:

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:12:25 am »
Cambium is the green bit between the bark and the wood - I learned that at a tree grafting workshop  ;D
I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions apart from propping it up, sealing the wound and seeing how it goes. I think I would try and take some of the fruit off though - maybe half, maybe all? I'm not sure  :thinking: Better to save the tree and have fruit for many years to come though  :thumbsup:
HTH
xx

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 08:08:59 am »

As HH says, seal the wound.  I get the impression though that it's more of a greenstick type fracture which will be difficult to keep bacteria free.   Plums are known for branches breaking under the weight of fruit.  Our golden gage is looking well laden this year, so we're watching it, although it's been ok in the past.
  :fc: for yours.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 10:45:11 pm »
Thanks for the info, Karen.

FW, it is a greenstick fracture and I would find it very difficult to seal it. I did have it propped up but the break is just past the prop (which is a piece of 4x4 timber so no light weight).

It's still not showing signs of dying though so here's hoping.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 11:57:10 pm »
The danger is of infection (mainly silver leaf) entering through the wound though. If you want to leave it on to ripen the fruit, you'll be best off not cutting off the branch entirely until next spring because you don't want to open up a big wound later in the season/in the winter. Even if you can't prop it, I'd try painting it - or getting somebody else to.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 04:57:07 pm »
What should I paint it with?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 10:20:23 pm »
I think it's just called pruning paint - you should be able to buy it at any garden centre. Some people use it routinely when pruning - especially for the big cuts - the guy at Brogdale teaching our course was sceptical on the benefits so I don't normally bother but I think I would in your case.

H

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 06:54:32 pm »
Thanks. I'll get some.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 12:09:46 am »
The plums on the broken branch are just starting to ripen so I shouldn't lose too many after all.  :thumbsup:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 12:14:29 pm »
My plum snapped two more barnches.. they are ripening but the wasps are there first. As I've mentioned before this is all in the inherited orchard... someone's idea of a 'forest orchard' for which i read cram too many trees together surrounded by taller ones to limit the light and ventilation ..and expect problems.
I've removed several and heavily pruned over the last two years but may have to be even more aggressive to get some fruit before my new lot properly establish.

For the plum-wasp battle I'm picking them under-ripe and stewing. You can only eat so many plums and apples before nature reminds you and makes you to run to the loo!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS