Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New chicks  (Read 2303 times)

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
New chicks
« on: November 08, 2009, 08:59:16 pm »
One of my Black Rock's left us 4 weeks ago - I thought she had been taken by a fox - however she has come back with three tiny chicks. I think we have them safe and well in a second had greenhouse we've just bought (hadn't put the glass in yet). We've put chicken wire around it and they are in a small hut inside lined with straw but have the space to roam in the greenhouse area. She seems to be a very good mother and looks after them well. The things I'm worried about are, 1.  Is it so late in the year that they may not survive the winter? 2.  We've seen a rat around over the last few days, could it attack them? (I've put a rat box out with poison in that the other hens can't get to). Any advice would be very useful. I tried to attach a photo but it's too large.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: New chicks
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:04:15 pm »
If your chicken wire is the small size type and is buried into the ground around the greenhouse the rat won't be able to dig under.  It will otherwise.  Make sure all fastenings are secure too.  If they have lots of straw they'll be cosy enough.  They have enough space to over winter in there too
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 05:11:04 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I feel more confident now.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 05:33:16 pm »
you will be amazed how small a hole a rat can get through,, also they can bite through ordinary chicken wire, got to be 1/2" gauge and thick, wire the floor and roof as well, got to be a wire cube really to keep a rat out.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 07:43:38 pm »
Make sure the rats can't climb over it!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS