Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hope we've done the right thing!  (Read 11471 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Hope we've done the right thing!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 09:03:55 pm »
Ralph is seriously not impressed - he growls and jumps out of the way when Henry gets close to him.  Its not happend that often though as Henry just wants to be near the fire or AGA - when he hears his name being called and the front door being opened he scoots off in the opposite direction! ;D

Henry has a cage and gets fed separately to Ralph so atleast Ralph has some peace.  I'm sure he'll get used to him in time, but at the moment Ralph's nose is very out of joint!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 09:07:02 am »
Henry is just gorgeous - perfect name, too.

But I agree he needs a new wardrobe. Maybe you shoudl sign him up for TAS secret Santa - if anyone gets a dog sweater they don't need in the dip, they can pass it to Henry! ;D

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 10:07:26 am »
What a cute puppy Henry is. I hope annies advice on the chickens works. Next doors jack russell kills my chickens given the slightest chance. my friends spaniels , however are very good and just accept them. We also have a new puppy this week. he is a ten week old black lab called Oscar. we have been waiting patiently for a pup to come along from dogs that we know and finally we have one. he is a really lovely boy, very curious and playful, but already understands what i want him to do. I must get the hang of posting photo's so I can show him off. my wife is off work this week, having suffered another setback in adding to our family, so they are both taking care of each other. i have a large puppy cage in my office, so he will come to work with me, to keep an eye on me. he also loves the Aga, and wants to make friends with our cat boris, but boris is not sure yet. i wonder what he will think of all the animals outside, when he gets to meet them.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 10:53:16 am »
Well done, he looks gorgeous, can I back up the advice of getting him in with the chickens early on though!  if he seems excited and has that 'chase' look about him from the start, then you must get his attention to look away, ie make a sharp noise, make you more interesting than the chickens! hope that makes sense :-\

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 08:01:08 pm »
He's going to meet the hens at the weekend.  My OH wants to be there, but has been in London this week.

acorn zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 11:39:47 pm »
we had 4 jackrussells and lost our 9 yr old milly last may. Her mother 11 yr old maureen hasnt been the same since, they used to hunt together whilst the youngsters watched. We where given mable recently another jrt bitch puppy and the chicken trick has worked a treat, they pecked her bum good style, she ran back indoors screaming, hasnt looked at them since. The others have warmed to her putting in her place at times, but then she can be a pain. It will all work out.

Laura

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 05:17:44 pm »
How did he get on Miri... on the chicken test?!
Bet this rain has got him up to his tiny belly in wet and mud
Little Blue

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 07:32:44 pm »
I see spaniel in him!  those legs, and add some long hair to the ears = spaniel.  Just too cute!  but I'm biased, we have three.  How's he getting on with the chickens?  unfortunately, we had the dogs before we had the chickens and Jazz will happily retrieve them, so we have to keep them apart (our fault).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 07:37:14 pm »
Mine are the same with my ducks, but fortunately the retrieving seems to do no harm.  They seem to realise chickens aren't real 'game' and tend to ignore them.  My big dog is a bird killer though so she is never allowed anywhere near the birds!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 08:41:27 pm »
My older JR Amber was so miffed when the wee one arrived. It took about 2 months for her to start really enjoying the pup. So Amber was about 9 when the pup arrived and was getting a little stately - well as stately as a Parson russell can manage with that wicked glint in their eyes.
Anyway to cut a long story short - when Chio cot to be about 10 weeks old she learnt to grab hold of amber's collar and pull her along. Amber didn't object visibly and soon joined in with the rough and tumble. The final judgement 18 months later is that Chio is keeping Amber young and interested in life. Chio is largely respectful and occasionally gets put in her place but they are definitely inseparable now.
kirsty

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 08:11:23 pm »
Sorry haven't been on for a while!  Henry has no interest in the chickens, but has an unhealthy interest in their pooh!!!! :yum: :yum:

Ralph is slowly becoming more tolerant - he even shared his bed with Henry for nearly an hour the other night.  If Henry gets a bit giddy with Ralph he is soon put in his place.  So far Henry has been brilliant with weeing and poohing outside - the odd accident, but nothing like I had been anticipating!  I had visions of constantly scrubbing pooh off the bars of his cage!

I've taught him to sit and he definitely understands a sharp NO and backs off immediately - so, so far so good I think!  He has his second injection tomorrow so then will be able to get out and about.

Our only problem with him is that he is still coughing so is now on antibiotics.  He has put on weight, but is still a bit skinny.  He doesn't like going outside and starts shivering as soon as we are out the door and tries to dash back inside.  It does seem to be cold rather than fear, but I sometimes wonder if some of it is psychological.  Maybe he has spent alot of his little life feeling cold.

So thats it really except that the cat has hissed and thankfully Henry was sensible enough to back off - I think he has a brain in his little head!!

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 11:32:38 pm »
Don't be taken in by that shivering malarky!!!!!!
Amber shivers when she's cold, excited, jealous, scared, wants a treat, anticipation, wants a cuddle, gets a cuddle, pure pleasure and car sickness.
We have dressed her in Val Doonican jumpers and even that doesn't stop her.
Shivering must be a JR quirk.
Chio however doesn't shiver, she expresses herself through a variety of yawns.
kirsty

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 07:16:27 pm »
Glad to hear he's settled in well, hope his cough gets better soon.
You made a good choice having a young pup (not like the daft lump we have here!) at least he'll learn quickly...
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 07:58:02 pm »
His cough has cleared up and his antibiotics finish on Friday, but we can't get him jabbed for another week, which is frustrating as we want to get him out and about.

Its a nightmare trying to get him to go outside - he always tries to runaway and hide!  We don't want to be picking him up every time so we have to herd him with our feet!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 11:27:27 pm »
His cough has cleared up and his antibiotics finish on Friday, but we can't get him jabbed for another week, which is frustrating as we want to get him out and about.

Its a nightmare trying to get him to go outside - he always tries to runaway and hide!  We don't want to be picking him up every time so we have to herd him with our feet!

Is he not on a collar and lead yet?  My pups have collars on as soon as they are 6 weeks old - when I am with them only in case they get their teeth stuck in them. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS