Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pro Rumen Supplement  (Read 4215 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Pro Rumen Supplement
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:17:08 am »
I bought some of the pro rumen sachets on advice of vet for a couple of lambs which had been bottle fed and also for goat recovering from bloat. Problem is when it arrived it says for cattle and there is copper on the ingredients list.

Anyone know if this is safe to give to sheep as I don't know what the safe level of copper is? Presumably ok for goats as they can tolerate copper. Worried as I know calf milk powder will kill lambs and not exactly sure how this substance works.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Pro Rumen Supplement
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:10:15 am »
Very good point you raise there Scotsgirl
As it says on the packet suitable for adult sheep and goats, I'll be honest I never even clicked there was copper in it, but am very aware of copper poisoning having goats and sheep myself.
As far as I can see, it looks around 600mg of copper in a sachet. The toxic dose is listed as 20-100mg/kg, so the recommended dose of 1/3 sachet per adult sheep will be well under this, and I would scale it down for a lamb. Even a 10kg lamb would be fine with 1/3 sachet, but if you were to cut it down to 1/6 or even 1/4 that should be fine.
The powder has a whole bunch of nutrients which feed the rumen bacteria, and some bacteria themselves, also a bit of vitamins etc that just generally help the guts to recover themselves.
Hope that helps
Suzanne

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Pro Rumen Supplement
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 01:07:20 pm »
Great thank you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS