Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What type of fencing for donkeys?  (Read 4290 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
What type of fencing for donkeys?
« on: July 20, 2014, 04:40:39 pm »
We are planning on having a few donkeys and are not sure what type of fencing they need. We have put up stock fencing recently for pygmy goats, which went well on the whole although on the first day they kept getting their heads stuck in the holes in the mesh, so we then had to put rabbit mesh around the whole paddock. Would have been good to know that's what we needed in the first place!
So for donkeys, do we need post and rail fencing? Do we need two rails? Any advice on making the fencing right first time would be much appreciated!
Thanks
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: What type of fencing for donkeys?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 05:21:36 pm »
We already had regular stock fencing here when our donkeys arrived, and it's been working fine for them.
No experience with post and rail fences, but I' don't think a single rail would be enough to keep them within the boundaries of your property, but it might work as a subdivision?
Mine are on track grazing over the summer, and they have been very respectful of a single strand of electric fence (so my sheep can slip underneath), but their shelter has a slip rail gate, and if I only shut the top rail they'll get out under that in no time (not that I ever shut them in, the gate rails are there just in case of illness etc.)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS